Monday, October 22, 2012

Trying New Things: Yesterday & Today

Yesterday was sunny and the house was clean, so my "new thing" was going to be a house tour blog post.  I went all over my semi-clean house snapping pictures... or at least I thought I did.  When I went to upload them, they were not on the memory card.  Still not sure what happened.  Bummer.


That was only going to be part of my "new thing" though.  I was going to put the pictures under a newly created tab on my blog and call it "house tour."  So I decided to go ahead with the tabs anyway, staring with a "recipes" tab.  

Doing this required going through lots and lots of posts, which involved a lot of scrolling.  So before I created the tab, I went through pretty much every. single. post. and put in "jump breaks."  So when you are looking through the blog and not in a specific post, it will only show you a "teaser" and you have to click to see the post.  It should drastically reduce your scrolling efforts.

So now, if you look up toward the top of the blog, you will see two tabs or "pages."  "Home" is just the plain old blog, and "Recipes" is a list of recipes I have posted with links to the recipes.  They are sorted by category.  I know that this list is imperfect, so let me know if something needs to be changed or added.  I will try to update this as I post more recipes.

Today's new thing... is a recipe.  Well, sort of.

I bought a couple of cut-up chickens a couple weeks back and threw them in the freezer.  I decided to pull one out and attempt to roast it.

Today's new thing: roasting chicken.

I really couldn't find  recipe that fit what I was wanting to do, so I decided just to wing it.  (Ha... you see what I did there? Wing it?  It's a chicken...)

I took some cooking instructions from here and flavor ideas from here and here, and this is what I kinda sorta came up with.

I put the chicken pieces in a pan, throwing out the neck (or whatever that chicken part was that didn't come in a pair).




I thinly sliced a lemon (I would have done two more if I had them, but I only had this one lemon) and smashed some garlic cloves.

I drizzled oil over the chicken and rubbed it in.  Then topped it with the garlic, lemon, and some lemon pepper seasoning.





I covered it with foil and baked it at 375 for about an hour, then uncovered it and baked it for another 45 minutes (it probably would have been fine after another half hour.

The result?  No too shabby.  My main goal was to not dry it out, and it was definitely moist and tender.  The flavor was good, but I could have used more of it.  I think that dunking it in lemon juice right after cooking it like this recipe suggested would have done the trick.



So there you have it... blog improvements and some chicken.  Who knows what tomorrow will bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment