Thursday, October 4, 2012

Trying New Things: Stability Ball Workout

Stability ball workout
This is a picture of me.  Just kidding...I don't wear pants like that.
(Image from fitnessmagazine.com)

I have had a stability ball for years, and have sort of messed around with it, using it for crunches and whatnot.  But when I got my October issue of Fitness, it had this workout in it.

So I decided to give it a try.


Let me tell you something... its A LOT harder than it looks.  At least if you have poor stability.  It is a stability ball workout after all.

I like to flatter myself, and imagine that I have really great abs.  Not that I have a six-pack or anything, but I can do sit-ups and crunches pretty well.  I knew my obliques needed some work, but I thought I had made a lot of progress since I can now do those side-plank-hip-dip moves.

APPARENTLY I have a lot more work to do.

The fourth move (grasshopper plank) just about killed me.  It said to alternate legs, but I ended up doing all on one side, then switching sides.  It worked much better for me...at least until I build up my "stabilizing muscles" a little more.

And if my core is poor, my arms are bankrupt.  If you got rid of the fat on my arms, they would be about as big as spaghetti noodles.  So the Dolphin was pretty impossible, and ended up being mostly a back exercise for me, which probably isn't a good thing.  Morale of the story: do more push-ups.

In summary, it was a good workout and I will probably do it again

Have you tried any new workouts lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment