Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Trying New Things: Small Town Gas Station


Last night I put Vick's on my feet and wore socks to bed, intending to share that as my new thing for today.

Instead, I will share a little story about my drive to work.  First, a little background.

--------

As I may have mentioned before, I drive 30 miles to The Middle Of Nowhere for work.  I drive through quite a bit of countryside, and only past two gas stations (excluding co-ops, since we're not members).  In one Small Town is a little convenience store/hardware/gas station called "The Singergap."  Locals refer to it as "The Gap" so I will do the same for the sake of typing efficiencies.


I have never in my 4.5 years of driving to work stopped at the Gap to get gas, although goodness knows there are plenty of times I probably should have.  I prefer to stop the the Other Small Town at the Big Chain gas station, since they have fancy things like pay-at-the-pump.  The pumps at the Gap looked extremely antiquated, and I was afraid to go into the store to pay for my gas (see also: Fareway).  Obviously, there is absolutely no good reason to not want to stop at the Gap, so I used the excuse that their prices were a little higher, and if I went to the Big Chain in the Other Small Town, I could save a few pennies.

------

Monday night, Tim asked me how much gas I needed in order to get to and home from work.  He told me how much was in the truck (he was taking the car to the Big City this week) and we determined I would be fine for Tuesday and could get gas on my way home from work.  Last night when we were going to bed, he asked me if I got gas.  Nope!  I sure hadn't... I would stop in Other Small Town on the way to work.

Well, of course I totally forgot the gas situation, and didn't even go through Other Small Town.  But God was looking out for me, because just as I was getting into Small Town, I happened to look down at and see that the gas light was on.  And I had no idea how long it had been on.

So I calculated my risks, and decided that I had no choice but to stop at the Gap and get gas.  And here is how that went.

I pull in the gas station the wrong way, forgetting which side the fuel cap thing is on.  It is on the left side (as indicated by the yellow arrow below).  On the cars I am used to driving, it is on the right side.  I make this mistake all the time.  No big deal.
I backed up and pulled in the right way, pulling up to the far pump because it gives me more time/room to get the truck straightened out.

Then I realized that that pump sells ONLY regular-grade.  And around these-here-parts there is ethanol in the mid-grade, so mid-grade is cheaper. Since I'm always wanting to save pennies on gas when I can (remember, that's why I go to Big Chain), I need to back the truck up (again) to the other pump that has mid-grade. 

I hop out and try to pump the gas.  I squeeze the trigger, and it just won't start.  This isn't your average gas pump... this is co-op style, where it just tells you what kind of gas it is.  There is no selecting (the step that usually get the pump started).  I can't figure out how to work it, and I suddenly worry that maybe they don't take credit cards.  I have zero cash, and the pump says "local checks only" and I am not sure Big Town (where I live) counts as "local."  Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.  While I am mulling this over, a truck pulls up on the other side, and a man starts pumping gas with no problem.  He has a cute dog in his truck (as illustrated below).
I decided I can go in and ask if they take credit cards, and while I'm in there make sure I can "just start pumping."  You know... a nonchalant way of saying "am I missing something?"

I ask the (very nice) lady if they take credit cards.  Yep!  They do.  Great.  So can I just start pumping then?  Yes... well, which car was I driving?  Oh, the orange one?  She will have to turn on the pump first.  Oh, that makes so much sense.  I knew I was missing something.
I go back outside, and try pumping again.  No dice.  Maybe she hasn't turned it on yet.  I try again.  Still not working.
Then she comes out.  "You need to pull the lever up." 
Of course I do.  Of course I didn't know that, because there was no sticker on the pump illustrating this (very obvious) necessity.  Of course I'm a dork.  Of course I decided to get all gussied up today and wear heels like some fancy city lady.  Of course I look like I city -slicker (aside from the fact I'm driving an orange pickup) who doesn't know how to survive in the country.  Of course the other guy is still pumping his gas and he (and his dog) get to witness my stupidity.
And of course the pump works right away.  I clomp back inside (of course I was wearing clunky heels instead of clicky heels so I sound like a teen-bopper who doesn't know how to walk in heels, instead of a smart, confident woman) and pay.  And of course the lady is really nice.  I tell her to have a good day.

And I drive to work.  Of course I'm super-late.

2 comments:

  1. OH my goodness, Stephanie. I am so sorry for roaring with laughter as I read this...Why you ask? Because I have done almost exactly the same thing!!! Only at a BP station which is a big city station. haha You are precious and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how the pumps used too be when I started driving! and they were just beginning to let you self serve :) Funny story that really made me SMILE!

    ReplyDelete