Saturday, October 20, 2012

Trying New Things: Days 17-20

Wednesday, October 17th

This new thing was inspired by Beth & Mindy.  I was sitting in a meeting with Beth on Monday, noticing the color of her (always impeccable) nails.  As is typical for this time of year, they were Raiders' colors.  (Don't ask me why she roots for the Raiders...I have no idea.  But she is a super-fan).  So, like I said... Raiders' colors.  With an "s."  8 of her 10 fingers were painted black (not a dark, goth-type black, but more of a slightly-sparkly charcoal-ish black.  It looked good... trust me) and the other two fingers (her ring fingers) were silver.  Interesting.


Then I go upstairs and talk to Mindy, and lo-and-behold her nails are lookin' awesome, too!  Brown on 8 fingers, gold on the other two (her index fingers).  I complement her on how great her nails look, and ask her if having one finger on each hand a different color is some kind of "new thing."  She informs me that, indeed, it is.  I'm so glad to have friends like Mindy that I can ask about trends...

The next day, Mindy shows me she has changed her nail colors to red on 8, silver on 2.  LOVE IT!!!!!  SO Christmas Spirity! (side note: anybody else listening to Christmas music every day, not just Christmas Spirit Days?  No?  Oh...me either...)

So, Wednesday I bust out my vast collection of nail polish (NOT) and try the 8 and 2 thing. (Please note: I never paint my own finger nails, because I'm not very good at it, so please don't judge the chipping and scuff marks.)



My nail polish collection consists of 3 colors: pink, pink-ish/muavish, and red-ish.  There's a reason that I am trying new things for a month...I tend to play it safe.  I think silver will be the next color I buy, since Mindy's nails looked so amazing.


Thursday, October 18th


Remember that one day I backed into a basketball hoop?  Well I was leaving someone's house, because we had spent the afternoon sewing together.  Or, more correctly, she competed an adorable table runner while I did battle with my sewing machine.

Thursday I sat down to try to finish sewing the table runner I was making, and the battle continued.  So here are the new things I tried:

  • reading the instruction manual
  • following the instructions
  • reading ALL of the instructions
  • following ALL of the instructions
  • asking my husband to fix my sewing machine (ok... maybe this wasn't the first time that happened)





My husband did wonders, and I made some more progress, but then things got tangled again.

New thing to try on Monday (because I didn't get around to it on Friday): visit the sewing machine center in town.


Friday, October 19th


This one really, really, really is out of my comfort zone.

I knew I needed to go to the store, but I really had no meal plan for the week ahead.  I knew there were a few things I needed to get, but I never got around to writing them down. Sooooooooo....

I went to the grocery store.
Without. A. List.

Whoah!  Crazytown!

Now, before you start thinking "You always have a list?  You must be so organized."  Let me set a few things straight.


  1. I often make a list and leave it at home
  2. I almost always forget to put something on my list
  3. I almost always forget to get something that is on my list


So here's my review of this New Thing:


  • I still probably forgot somethings (but that happens anyway)
  • I still spent the same amount of money that I usually do
  • It took me the same amount of time it usually does (granted...I shopped at Aldi, so there isn't a whole lot of store to run back and forth through anyway).


I think I might do this again.


Saturday, October 20th


Today I got Tim up at 8 am on a Saturday (not advisable), and we went to meet some new people (Anne's family... they're pretty great!) and go see a new place (Anne's new crib) because today we moved Anne.

Why, you ask, would I take the risk of waking my husband so early on a Saturday?  Because Anne is such a great friend to me, and of course we had to help her moved.  Seriously, Anne is one of those friends that is so good to me, there is no way I could ever pay her back for all of the ways she has encouraged me and blessed me.  

Exhibit A:



Do you see this purse?!



She MADE this for me!!!  Yes, MADE IT!!  She even put pockets in it!



It takes a really great friend to put that kind of work into something.

Anne's also the friend that when she saw a big eraser in a purple case at Target said "I have to get that for Stephanie."

Anne... thanks for being so great.  It was wonderful to meet your family!  I love you!

Ok guys... I haven't heard from you in awhile.  Is anyone trying new things besides me?  Do you have a friend that teaches you about trends?  Do you shop with a list or go free-style?  Who are your great friends?

ps-Thanks for reading.  It would really be a bummer to do all of this blogging and have no one reading it.  You're awesome!

4 comments:

  1. FYI- I read every single one of your blog posts...sometimes twice over just to make sure I got it all. LOL....

    SO 1. I LOVE YOUR NAILS!! and yes paint two silver!! 2. I feel your sewing machine wows...Dad always would say to me as I was tearing out yet another seam gone wrong.."As you sew, so shall you rip". LOL Gotta love my husband:) and 3. That purse is the most adorable thing i've seen in a long time! Love the little rose and the color!! 4. you do have amazing friends and an amazing husband, but I may be a little prejudiced on the husband part:)and lastly 5. I have done nothing new this month:( unless you count going on a senior picture photo shoot with my last child something new, then yes, yes I have done something new this month! It was sad and exciting all rolled up in to one...sad because we will be losing our little girl to womanhood and a college adventure, but exciting because God's plans are always so much better than we can ask or imagine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,

    Thank you so very much for all of your help today. You and Tim made the day go so much easier than if it had just been my family. Plus, it was great that you got to meet my family (with the notable exception of Q, but that will happen another day). My family enjoyed meeting you and Tim.

    You have been such an amazing friend to me and I'm so glad we became friends. I miss you so much, but hopefully now that I'm moved I'll have a bit more free time (or at least once I get unpacked) I'll be able to see you again soon.

    Miss you!

    Anne

    PS - I love your nail polish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm learning new things everyday, not sure that counts but whatever. We started doing kitty burritos in class--and no we are not eating them, just rolling them up in a towel. We should make a plan to do something next weekend. Also, I have not found the book club book yet so I don't think I'll have it done by the meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your free spirit - Thank you for the help Saturday and it was a pleasure meeting you and Tim - I will check in every so often to see what new adventures you have been on - Loved the story about the gas station - Sounds so like my self - I don't plan ahead and as Anne can tell you I never let that get in my way much to her dad's distress. I've just never thought of writing about it - sounds like fun!!

    Hope you and Anne keep connected - Anne's Mom - Gretchen

    ReplyDelete