Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Trying New Things Day 2: Book Club

This one has been a long time in coming.  For a couple of years, Sapphire has been saying "We should start a book club,"  and I say "Yes!  We should.  Jenn knows people... we should talk to Jenn about it."

So what happens?  A couple of weeks before Sapphire moves away, Jenn and I spend 6 hours in the car together on our way to and from the Land End Warehouse Clearance Event and we decide to start a book club.  Here's how that conversation went.

Jenn:  We need to start a book club.
Steph:  Yes!  I have been thinking the same thing.
Jenn: Great!  Let's do it.
Steph: Wait until Sapphire hears... she's going to kill me.


But have no fear!  Sapphire is joining the book club anyway.  She will make the drive one Tuesday a month to join us.

And it all started tonight.  I am really excited.  Here's what we decided to read over the next several months.

All images from Amazon.com


The Gift of an Ordinary Day by Katrina Kenison

The Gift of an Ordinary Day: A Mother's Memoir

Anglea's Ashes by Frank McCourt
Angela's Ashes
Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

Pride and Prejudice (Norton Critical Editions)

Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoglu & James A. Robinson

Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty

Dancing with Max by Emily Colson
Dancing with Max: A Mother and Son Who Broke Free

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

By Harper Lee: To Kill a Mockingbird: 50th Anniversary Edition

The only one I have read is Pride & Prejudice, and I love it so much.  I know that it is inconceivable that I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird, but (in my defense) neither had two of the other ladies.

Have you ever been in a book club?  Have you ever read any of these books?  Have you also not read To Kill a Mockingbird?

I'm a slow reader, so I have better buy my books and get started!

1 comment:

  1. YEA!!! Hope the meeting went well. Luckily I've read 3 of the books on the list so that will help. Hopefully I can be there for the Nov meeting!

    ReplyDelete