Monday, August 30, 2010

Tomato Dog

Correct me if I am wrong, but it was my understanding that dogs don't normally go for tomatoes.  Maybe some  spaghetti sauce if it has meat in it, but straight-up raw tomatoes-- most dogs I've met wouldn't give um the time of day.


As I continue to learn in new and interesting ways, Jynx is not most dogs.  We first discovered that she liked tomatoes when I was cooking and (as usual) dropped some on the floor.  I expected a sniff, maybe even a lick, then a "C'mon, Mom!  When are you going to drop some meat?"

She gobbled it right up.  And then she wanted more.  And has continued to want more.

I am not even kidding, this dog begs for tomatoes like she begs for bacon!  Crazy.

I was working in my garden last week, throwing rotten tomatoes into a bucket for the compost,  occasionally missing.  Jynx was out there with me "helping."  She ate a WHOLE TOMATO that fell on the ground.  Then she was getting them out of the bucket because she wanted more!  I had to keep fighting her off, because I didn't want to clean up the mess when she suddenly realized that God didn't really make dogs to eat tomatoes.


Later that night she was helping Tim and I take the trash out, and snuck a green tomato from the garden and brought it inside.  Notice how she is nuzzling her tomato and ignoring the bone in the background.

Today I was making some tomato sauce (which is more like tomato juice with the watery tomatoes this rainy summer has produced) and juice started leaking down the side of the food mill and dripping on the floor.  Jynx was right there, ready to clean it up as it fell.   She stood there for the duration, licking away, and I think ended up with as much in her fur as in her mouth.


UPDATE:  The other night Jynx broke into the cupboard under the sink to eat the tomato pulp that came out the other end of the food mill.  Apparently I had not closed one of the doors well enough, and she nosed it open and mangled the compost bucket to be able to reach the tomato stuff, since it was kind of wedged in where she couldn't get to it.  I came downstairs to carrot peels and cucumber slices strewn about the kitchen floor.  I should have known she had been too quiet too long...

No comments:

Post a Comment