Sunday, August 8, 2010

T-Shirts

I saw this great idea for t-shirts on Ashley Ann's blog, and I couldn't wait to try it.  I decided to make shirts for my sibs to give to them when we all exchanged birthday gifts at Christmas in July (confusing, I know).



I had Jenn's kids over one day, so we did a test run.  In the comments on Ashley Ann's blog, someone had suggested that peroxide might work in place of bleach and be less harsh for kids to work with, but hadn't tried it.  Someone else said they used contact paper in lieu of the freezer paper and it worked well.  So that's where I started.


Try #1:


Luke, Bella, and I cut what we wanted to put on shirts out of contact paper.








I figured I would make Mandy's shirt first.  Based on the colors that Ashley's turned, I thought it would make a great dual purpose "Mandy/Michigan" shirt.

Results:  The peroxide got the shirts wet.  That was it.  I really had high hopes for the peroxide, since the Benzoyl Peroxide I use on my face seems to bleach everything in sight within seconds.  Oh well.

Try #2:


Redo/ change letters.  Use bleach.






Success!   Except for the pinkish/ reddish color.  Not the awesome gray Ashley got when she bleached.  Well, the kids liked them.

Try #3:

Different shirts.  Bleach.






Some of them bleached like I wanted them to, and others didn't.  I don't know what kind of shirt Ashley used that managed to have such a dark color go to that nice gray instead of pink, but she said she got them at Hobby Lobby.  Maybe I will try there next time.  I also want to try hot pink.



It was a fun experiment, and drained me of my creativity for the next 3 months :)

No comments:

Post a Comment