Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Zucchini Chocolate Cake

Allow me to introduce you to one of the tastiest ways to eat a vegetable.

I will admit, I was dubious when Laura gave me this recipe and said it was a great way to use up those monster zucchinis.  But Laura is a great cook, so I took the recipe--and the hint to stop leaving giant vegetables on her desk and in her car-- and tried it.

Yum...wow...yum.  This is such and amazing cake, guys!  And its so easy.  I should have known...it was from Laura after all!

ZUCCHINI CHOCOLATE CAKE

1/2 cup softened margarine
1/2 cup oil
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 c sour milk
2 1/2 c flour
4 Tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Cream margarine, oil, and sugar.  Add eggs, vanilla, and sour milk.  Beat well.  Stir in dry ingredients and beat well.  Stir in zucchini.  Pour into greased 9 x 13 pan.  Sprinkle with chocolate chips.  Bake at 325 for 45-45 minutes or until top springs back when touched.  No need to frost.

NOTES:  I have now baked this cake twice and I used real butter the first time and margarine the second time.  I have to be honest and say that I think it was better with the margarine.  I think its because it was softer and got whippier when I was creaming the ingredients.  Also, I did not use the cinnamon or cloves.

So for all of you that have monster zucchinis and are sick of zucchini bread...go make this cake.  You will be SO glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment