Saturday, June 4, 2011

Snapshots of my life right now

It's been a while since I've blogged.  Life has been kinda busy lately, and to be honest-- I would rather be in the garden than on the computer.


Here's a little update on what's going on:



We have 3 dogs now.




When one dog barks, there are 3 dogs barking... even if they don't know what they're barking about.




The pitter-patter of 12 little paws through the house.




And, of course, 3 dogs to walk.


3 leashes, 3 harnesses, and lots and lots of bags for poop.  I can't walk them all at once by myself while cleaning up poop, so I walk them one by one.

When Lalaina and I were training for Living History Farms Race, she told me that she had a friend that lost a ton of weight by walking 3 miles a day.  So I'm trying it.   The dogs get about a half mile for every 10 pounds.

Tico is 11 pounds, so he gets a half mile (6 blocks).
Toby is 20 ish pounds, so he gets a mile (12 blocks).
Jynx is 30 ish pounds (and rising, because she keeps on finishing Tiko's food for him), so she gets a mile and a half (18 blocks).

Which means I get 3 miles.  I am actually keeping up with it rather well, missing maybe 2 days a week.  The weight-loss part hasn't kicked in yet.

Oh, who is this Tico, you ask?



Tico is Toby's brother.




He came to live with us for the same reason Toby did-- their family is working on getting a place of thier own where they can have the dogs.




Tico is a pug-chiuaua mix.




He was the alpha-dog when it was just him and Toby.  Jynx has since changed that.  I think we are through the worst of the transition.



Like I said before, Tico is about 11.5 pounds.  He's just a little guy.  Now that he has adjusted to our home, I am finding it increasingly difficult to have personal space.  Tico constantly wants to snuggle.  But he's a sassy little bugger that picks on the other two.


Jynx does a lot of this nowadays.  Sometimes she's pouting, but usually she's just trying to cool herself off on the cool floor.

As I was taking those pictures of Toby and Tico on the chair, I suddenly realized something.

"Jynx!  We've got to stick together!  Us girls are outnumbered at this house!"


Dog in time out is another representative photo of my life right now.  I believe that Toby was sent to his cage this time for climbing up (all the way up) on the kitchen table and eating a hamburger off of the platter.

It's hard to keep up with these kids.


And the mud.  They like to "help" me in the garden, which leads to a lot of muddy paws.  I am pretty sure this sweatshirt was clean when I put it on the chair, and then I walked by later and there were these mud streaks.  And I realized that this explains a lot of my life right now. In defense of the dogs, I am responsible for the mud in this house as much as they are.

Speaking of gardening... I've been pretty busy.


This was the second round of flowers I bought and I planted them on Monday.  I had visions that my garden would look like these beautiful containers I saw in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine a couple months ago.  Aren't those begonias just gorgeous?  I am loving them.  I don't know if my plants will fill in quite like the ones in the magazine, but I hope they do.  Let's remember: It's God who grows things.

I will post a photo garden tour later.  After I plant these.


Oh, and speaking of Better Homes and Gardens, I lost my cookbook!  It was awful!  I didn't know where it was-- we looked everywhere.  Finally I found it on a dining room chair.  I couldn't see it because the chair was pushed in and the tablecloth was covering it.  But I found it.  You know those parables of the lost coin and the lost sheep?  And how glad they were to find it?  It was like that...

Now I have a slightly better understanding of how God feels when a lost child returns to Him. It's a beautiful thing.

Speaking of recipes, Laura comes through again!  She gave me this awesome recipe she found, and I made it.


I will be sharing that here soon as well.

That's it for my life.  Dogs and gardening.  What's going on with you?

ps-  Thanks for hanging in there with me during my blogging lapse.  You don't know how much it means to me that y'all read this blog.  I will try to do better at keeping up with it.  Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment