Thursday, June 30, 2011

photo challenge day 16: long exposure

I may or may not have had way too much fun with this particular "assignment."  I started off the evening thinking it probably wouldn't even get done, much less posted.  I was going to do the overnight awake shift in the cottage, because the overnight staff was sick.  Lo and behold, she just had heat exhaustion, because when her husband got the AC working again she felt better. Praise the Lord!  I know that I should be praising the Lord that Linda is feeling better (and I really am glad that she is) but I'm more grateful that I don't have to stay up all night.  It kind of feels like the first good thing that has happened this week.  I know that it's not, but it feels like it.  And suddenly I am realizing that I love life again.  Yay for getting out of a funk.


But back to the pictures.  Tim is the camera (or, as we like to say it, "camamera") expert at this house, so he has been a great help as I am on this photo journey.  I have learned a lot.  Like how to attach the camamera to the tripod.  You think I'm joking.  I'm not.

He told me I wouldn't be able to do the assignment.  "At least not like Kim and Chelsea."  I told him Chelsea had already bailed.  After much discussion and questions, he adjusted the ISO and exposure on my little point and shoot, and even had some ideas for fun pictures.  So here they are!


I call this one the "Better Homes and Gardens."  Has anyone else notice that they have started taking some "action shots"?  For example, see page 36 in the July 2011 issue.  Maybe once I make more progress on remodeling/ decorating I can take more of these pictures.  Like when we paint over that paneling.  Yeck.

And of course, we have the obligatory dog photo.  I call this one " Ghost of Doggies Present."  Pop Quiz: which dog is it?  Make a comment with your guess!


And of course I had to have some fun with light. 


I told Tim I should run to Walgreens (or, as we like to say it, "Walgrens-- we sort of speak our own language around this house.) and get some sparklers, because nothing beats sparklers for long exposure pictures.  He said a flashlight works just as well.  I said "oh."  So I didn't go to Walgrens.


For the record, flashlights don't work just as well.  From the camera's perspective they are more of a point source of light, so you have to have it pointing right at the camera for it to work.  A sparkler is an infinite light source, so it sends light in every direction, so you don't have to point it.

I am going to stop now, because I am having flashbacks to second semester University Physics.  That was not a good experience for me.


ps- do you see Jynx in this picture? She's a dweeb, but I love her.
pps- speaking of dweebs, Tim just used the word "trippy."

3 comments:

  1. i think the flashlights look great! the stream of light seems smoother and even thicker than our sparklers! do you guys have plans for the 4th? hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is super cool! i should have worked harder... dang! oh well! just so you know... im pretty sure i could come to your house and i would totally understand your language! you see, i speak the same language!! trippy and walgrens are words i totally use!!! ha!! love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chelsea- you SHOULD come to my house and speak my language. You and Kim could come visit Jenn and I and we could have a girls weekend sometime. And of course Betty and Laurie are welcome to come, too.

    ReplyDelete