Monday, March 12, 2012

Peanut Butter Week: Grilled PB & J

IMPORTANT NOTICE: In honor of Peanut Butter Week, I have a very pertinent poll up above.  If you would take the time to weigh in on this highly controversial and divisive issue, I would be so grateful!


Remember that time I shared my morning oatmeal routine, and I turned a very simple 3 minute process into 10 steps and 11 pictures?  This is going to be another one of those.  But the results are delicious!



First, the cast of characters:



Bread- Homemade or some other "artisan" bread will work best, because it is heartier and can stand up to the gooey-runniness of the melty PB & J.  I'm sorry, but Wonderbread just isn't going to cut it this time.  I really, really, really recommend you make this bread.  That's what I did and that's what's pictured.  If I can do it, you can do it!


Peanut Butter- Whatever type you prefer.  We decided to give Aldi's natural peanut butter a try.


Jam/Jelly-  Again homemade is best.  Find yourself a friend like Laura who will gift you homemade jam for Christmas.  Maybe you can bake them some bread in return.


Softened butter-  We often have a stick of butter that lives on the counter full-time.  That way its always soft.  My grandparents kept their butter dish in the cupboard not their fridge.  I would do the same, except I would have to keep getting it out of the cupboard.  So I just save myself the time and leave it on the counter.


Since this process is so straightforward, I will let the pictures do all the explaining.  However, it is worth pointing out that if you are careful (and don't worry too much about having a little bit of PB in your jelly jar), you can accomplish this with one spreading knife.



















Mmm... melty!  And now, the cliche "stacked food styled photo."




I have decide that styling food is an exercise in futility and a waste of my time.  It only prolongs the plate-to-mouth time frame...an exercise I do not endorse.


Now go forth and grill!  Make sure you have some milk handy.  And potato chips always make a delicious companion to PB & J.

No comments:

Post a Comment