Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Peanut Butter Week: African Stew

You know how you have those family-friends-that-are-like-family?  Aren't they such a sweet, precious blessing from the Lord?


I have never lived in the same state as any of my aunts or uncles, but "Aunt Lynette and Uncle Tim" were always there at cross country and track meets, concerts, musicals, and awards banquets.  Granted, they had kids our ages, so they were there to support their own as well, but they really were (and are!) like family.  I remember when I first recognized this.



We were at a cross country meet, and Kelly had run really well or something.  You know that dad/uncle type thing that men do, where they sort of grab the back of your neck...not in the punishing/steering way, but the arm around your shoulder, friendly greeting kind of way?  Well, Uncle Tim was holding Kelly's neck and talking to her about her race and how well she did.


I guess it sounds kind of strange and awkward when I type it out, but it would make total sense if you saw it. Kinda like this picture (posted by Pioneer Woman).


TPW_6877 



That was when I officially adopted them as aunt and uncle.


Anyway, I wanted some different types of peanut butter recipes for this week, so naturally I asked my mom and Aunt Lynette.  This was one of Aunt Lynette suggestions.  And guess what!  Its another More With Less recipe (they should start paying me for advertising).


The recipe called for 2 lbs stew meat, but since beef costs more than I care to spend right now, I settled for 1 lb ground beef that I snatched up on sale.  My intent was to halve the recipe, but as it usually turns out with my, I halve some of the ingredients and not others.  So I will show you how I did it, but I highly, highly recommend you follow the recipe.  If you can afford the beef.
 The Cast of Characters: crunchy peanut butter, flour, nutmeg, chili powder, beef (or chicken), garlic, onions, oil.

Oh yes...
...and tomato paste.
 Put the beef in a skillet to brown. 
While the beef gets going and the fat renders, chop your onions. 
Mmm... look at all that rendered fat!
Throw in the onions.
Give it a stir. 
And keep cooking until the meat is cooked. Then drain the fat off, and try not to spill things all over the place like I did.  In my defense, the doorbell rang right in the middle of this.
Sprinkle some flour over the stuffs in the pan.  
 Add some nutmeg
And lots of chili powder.  This was one of those ingredients I forgot to halve.  Oops. 
 Now would also be an excellent time to add the garlic and tomato paste.
 Stir it up.
 Add water, and simmer "until meat is tender."  Since I used ground beef, this didn't take long. 
Put some peanut butter in a separate pan with a leeeetle bit of oil. 
 And cook/ stir until its melty and smooth.  As smooth as crunchy peanut butter can get, anyway.  Then stir it in to the stew.
 I forgot to mention back at the water step that I added some peanuts to try to bulk it up and add more protein.  It turns out pretty well.
 And here is the finished product!


It should be served with rice, but I really didn't have any rice, so we just ate it as is.  Looking back, it could use a little heat, so I would recommend adding the red pepper.


WEST AFRICAN GROUNDNUT STEW
In a large heavy kettle, heat:

  • 3 T oil

Add:

  • 2 lbs beef cubes, 1" or smaller, rolled in flour

While browning, add:

  • 1/2 t nutmeg
  • 1 T chili powder

When meat is browned, add:

  • 4 medium-sized onions
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3/4 c tomato paste
  • 6 c water
  • red pepper, if desired

Simmer until meat is tender.
A half hour before serving, heat in small saucepan:

  • 1/2 c chunky peanut butter
  • 2 T oil

Stir over medium heat 5 minutes.  Add peanut-butter mixture slowly to beef stew and simmer over low heat 20 minutes.  Serve over rice.  May be accompanied with small dishes of condiments.


Options:
Use chicken pieces in place of beef
To use leftover cooked meat, begin by sauteing onion and garlic, then add meat with tomato paste and water.


Thanks, Aunt Lynette for the recipe idea!  I love you!

1 comment:

  1. Steph, I haven't made West African Groundnut Stew for sooo long, it's a good reminder to get it back on the menu plan. Plus all your other PB ideas! Uncle Tim was delighted to be mentioned here, and said, "Some of my favorite desserts have PB in them!" - I'm not sure I actually knew that before since he's not a big dessert eater (and doesn't appreciate PB&J sandwiches), but was good to learn! Thanks for the fun blogs. Love you too!

    ReplyDelete