Friday, March 30, 2012

Garden Roundup

I never got around to telling you how my garden finished out last season.  Since I'm sure you've all been dying of curiosity, here is a summary.



  • Tomatoes and iris were my worst "weed" problems.  I had tons of tomato plants volunteer from the seeds of last year's tomatoes.  This worked out ok, because I was really, really, really late getting in the plants that I started from seed inside.  Last summer was bad for tomatoes, because it was really cool, so most of them never even ripened.  Bummer.  The irises were a rookie gardener mistake...I thought that since the rhizomes had been in the shed all winter they would have died, so I threw them in the compost.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  While I love irises, I don't want them in my vegetable garden... at least where they were growing.  I am still cleaning them out!








  • Peppers were my top crop last year, but maybe that's because I planted more pepper plants than anything else.  They are definitely worth growing, though.  I heard that if you keep them a little on the dry side, they will be hotter.  I think I took that too far, especially with the green chiles, because when I roasted them, there was no flesh left.  I will water more diligently this year, and hopefully have some "meatier" peppers.  I did end up canning two jars of jalapenos and one of banana peppers.  My first solo canning experience!  And it was a success. 




  • I did get a few sweet potatoes from the container I put them in.  This method worked well, and I also used some of the vines for decoration amongst my flowers.  I am not sure the yield was worth the container space/ dirt it took to grow it, but I could try to use a smaller container in the future.








  • Potatoes were a waste of time.  My soil is too rocky and shallow for them to grow deep and big. Potatoes are pretty cheap to buy, anyway, so I don't think I will bother with them in my garden in the future.



Having learned that, here are some of my tentative plans for this year.



  • Garlic!  Grow Great Grub has instructions for planting garlic, and it said to put it in the ground a few months before things freeze.  I didn't get around to it until New Year's Eve Day, when it was really warm.  Tim asked me what I was going, and I explained.  He said "This is when you're supposed to plant it?"  I said it should be a couple of months before a hard frost, but at the rate we were going, I should be fine.  And I was right!  The plants are about a foot tall!








  • After battling the volunteer tomatoes last year, and dragging my feet on getting "official" plants planted, I think I'm just going to join 'em, since I can't beat 'em.  And if it doesn't look like I will get solid volunteers, I can always just buy some plants in late May and put 'em in the ground.  Staring from seed isn't worth it.
  • I want to find a better variety of cukes to grow.  Last year I intended to make pickles, but didn't, and I didn't like the "great for pickling" variety.  I want to grow some that are longer and skinnier.
  • I still plan on lots and lots of peppers! This is what I will dedicate most of my in-ground space to.  Green, red, jalapeno, banana, and green chiles!  Yum, yum, yum, and yum.  And this year I will water them.








  • I want to do more herbs this year.  I bought some cute little buckets to grow them in.  More on that when I get them started.
  • Lettuce is something I want to be more intentional about.  And I am thinking about planting rows of flowers between rows of lettuce.



So, that's a quick run-down of (vegetable) garden lessons learned.  I didn't even touch on flowers!  I like that gardening is such a "learn -as-you-go" thing, because it is so individualized to the soil, sunlight, and space you have to work with. 


So, to officially kick of the 2012 garden season, I will leave you with my gardening cheer.  


It's God who grows things!

No comments:

Post a Comment