Friday, January 20, 2012

Oatmeal Week: Oatmeal Bread

My mom and I had grand plans to bake bread over Christmas (and by "bake bread" I mean mom would make it and I would take pictures), but things got busy and it didn't really happen.  So I guess she just needs to come visit and bake bread so I can give  you the step-by-step for this recipe with mom's tips.


Mom bakes this bread A LOT.  And people love it A LOT.  Except Sven.  He always tells her she needs to keep practicing.  Because the more she practices, the more bread he gets to eat.  This might be the recipe my mom is most famous for.  County-wide (and nation-wide) folks have been blessed by this home-baked goodness. I thought about trying to make it myself and show you but

1.  I don't have enough flour (we know the world is coming to an end when Stephanie runs out of flour.  My excuse is that it snowed last night and I told Tim I would stay home today so he could take the truck to work).

2.  I can't make it like mom.  

So, the moral of the story is: Mom, come visit soon!

Until then, here is the recipe.

OATMEAL BREAD
Combine in large bowl:
  • 1 c quick oats
  • 1/2 c whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1 T salt
  • 2 T margarine

Pour 2 c boiling water over the mixture in the bowl.

Dissolve 
  • 1 package dry yeast in 
  • 1/2 c warm water

When batter is cooled to lukewarm, add yeast. 
Stir in:
  • 5 c white flour
When batter is stiff enough to handle, turn onto floured board and knead 5-10 minutes.  Place in greased  bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled.  Punch down an let rise again.  Shape into 2 loaves and place in greased 9x5x3 " pans.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.  Cool on rack, brushing loaves with margarine for a soft crust.

Very Important Note:  This bread makes AMAZING toast.  If you make this bread, you MUST MAKE TOAST WITH IT.  And spread it with homemade strawberry jam.

2 comments:

  1. Steph, I am making this bread today - have made it before but it's been a l-o-n-g time. Tomorrow is Danae's 18th birthday (can you believe it?) and she wants a soup buffet with salad and assorted breads, cornbread, crackers, etc. So here goes. Thanks for the reminder of this yummy bread! Love, Aunt Lynette p.s. - Happy Valentine's Day to you and Tim, and yes - I'll be sure to make toast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the bread! I am sure yours will turn out better than mine would (if I tried to make it :). Thanks for the Valentine's wishes! Tell Danae "happy birthday" for me, and she is NOT allowed to turn 18. 8-yes. 18-no.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete