Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Lettuce Entertain You

Recently Tim and I were gone for 7 days on a (sort of) vacation.  While we were gone there was lots of rain and it was really hot.  Apparently, rain + hot + Iowa soil + 7 days of not checking on my garden's progress = lots of plants growing a lot!!  Even my potatoes (which I was starting to give up on)!! And weeds!!



This weekend I spent a lot of time weeding and still have a ton left.  Then Tim helped me stake my tomatoes and peppers.  It seemed like the prudent thing to do, but when you have them next to long poles, they look kind of pathetic and puny.



On Saturday we had our first taste of the garden... lettuce on our BLT's.


Sadly, the tomatoes were not from our garden yet.  While our plants are growing, they have yet to produce fruit.  Tim needs to clean his fish tank so we can take all of that green fish water (aka: plant steroids) and water  the garden, then watch the growth spurt.  Which reminds me...

I was reading in I Corinthians last night and got so excited because there was my gardening mantra, right in the Word of God!  I knew it was true and everything, but to see it plainly in the Bible was exciting and refreshing.  Check this out (emphasis mine):

For when one says, "I follow Paul," and another, "I follow Apollos," are you not mere men?

What, after all, is Apollos?  And what is Paul?  Only servants, through whom you came to believe-- as the Lord has assigned to each his task.  I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.  So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.  The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor.  For we are God's fellow workers; you are God' field, God's building. 
I Corinthians 3:4-9

It is good to be reminded that I am merely a vessel... to be used by God according to His will and purpose.  Anything good that I have done is only the Holy Spirit working in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment