Thursday, January 27, 2011

Steph & Katie's Excellent Adventure: Birmingham, Baton Rouge, Memphis

These three cities were not really the bulk of our trip, but they had good food so I figured they were worth mentioning :)


We had planned on staying in Birmingham on Thursday night but stopped early due to the snow.  We drove through it in the morning, though, and had Nancy take us through the Historical District.  Here are some highlights:






Then we drove through downtown Birmingham and there was hardly anyone around.  That makes you feel good.



It wasn't quite lunch time, so we decided to press on.  We later stopped in Meridian, Mississippi and ate a Church's Chicken.  



Really good chicken!  Slightly questionable neighborhood.  Oh... and the biscuits were AMAZING.  I was guarding my purse too carefully to take out my camera, so I don't have a picture of the food.  Sorry.  But it was good, and we made it out ok.

We left New Orleans Sunday after church and drove to Baton Rouge for lunch.  No seriously... all we did was get fast food then head to Memphis!  We figured it would add a city to our list, and we were kind of tired of sightseeing by this point and just wanted to get home and sleep.  But we chose our lunch very strategically... fast food chains only found in the south.

Katie got chicken from Raising Cane's...




... and I got a Whataburger.  SO GOOD.  




Its probably a good thing we don't have those chains here in Iowa, because it would not be good for my diet.  Not that any of the food I ate was good for my diet... the diet actually kind of flew out the window for 5 days.

My dad worked on a project in Memphis for several months (years?), so I asked him for a recommendation on where to get good Memphis barbecue.  "Corky's."  I hardly had the question out of my mouth and he had the answer.

He told us where one was and that there were hotels around it that were safe.  I decided on the Hampton Inn before we even left home and it worked out well.  It was literally right across the street.  We could have walked there, but I have a fear of crossing the street, so I made Katie drive :)  Again, AMAZING FOOD!  I actually might go so far as to say it was the best food I had eaten the whole trip, and that's really sayin' somethin'.



I got BBQ pork, homemade chips, and coleslaw.  I usually don't like coleslaw, but I ate it on 3 separate occasions on this trip.  I actually finished mine at Corky's... I scooped it up with the chips :)  Major yum.  And the rolls!!  I have got to figure out how to make them!  Buttery, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.  And it was almost like they salted them, too.  



BTW- the Apple BBQ Sauce was wonderful.  A wonderful combination of sweet and tangy.  If you go to Memphis you MUST eat at Corky's.  Thanks for the tip, Dad!

Monday we just drove straight home, and we were pretty happy to get here.  I love travelling, but I love coming home.  My bed is a good place to be, especially next to my hubby.

No comments:

Post a Comment