Thursday, January 13, 2011

3 things


  1. For the past couple of years, I have been trying to simplify my life, especially the amount of stuff we have.  Recently, I have been on a mission to get stuff out of our house.  Like trash.  And clothes that are worn out or gross or that I don't wear.  Some of the stuff that I find to get rid of almost makes me angry with myself, because I'm like "Why have I been letting this stuff sit around my house and clutter up my life for so long?  What a waste of time and energy!"  Its a very slow process, but things are starting to feel a little better.
  2. As most of you know, I am swearing off carbs for two weeks in an effort to stabilize my blood sugar and help with cravings.  I am getting junk out of my blood, so that I can see what life is like without it.  I am realizing that it really stole my energy and focus.  Taking a break from junk has been good, because I can see what life can be like without it.  No more sleepy haze in the afternoon.  I am shedding extra pounds that I was carrying around for no good reason.  And (maybe I am imagining it) but my skin seems to be clearing up.
  3. Pastor Bob started a new sermon series this week on Psalm 51.  The series is about confessing our sins and changing our ways.  It will be an opportunity to look at the unconfessed sin I have been ignoring in my life and to repent of it.  Unconfessed sin slows you down and steals your energy as well.


It is no coincidence that I decided to work on the first two items, and God prompted Pastor Bob to preach about #3.  Honestly, I never thought about how cleaning my house and loosing weight were connected until I was listening to the sermon on Sunday and then it all started clicking.  I like having themes... but it's going to be challenging to get rid of so many things I have been carrying around for a long time.  Thankfully, the Lord is waiting to lift the burden from me.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment