Sunday, January 8, 2012

Grandpa

As I shared last week, my Grandpa passed away, and I had the opportunity to say a few words at his funeral.  I was going to type this up for my mom anyway, so I figured I would share it here.  It's not perfectly put together, but its what I had to say, and I hope it gives you a taste of what my Grandpa was like.


"As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to life a life worthy of the calling you have received.  Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." Ephesians 4:1-3

Growing up 18 hours away from Grandpa, we didn't get to see him very often.  I don't have a lot of funny stories or memories to share about times spent with Grandpa, but in his own quiet way he left his mark on my life and reflected the character of Christ.

Humility.  Grandpa was absolutely humble.  He was never loud, never sought to be the center of attention. He was content with where he was and what was going on.  Grandpa realized how much he had been given and shared generously with others.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:3

Gentle.  My pastor back home in Iowa has been doing a sermon series on the Fruits of the Spirit, and Sunday's sermon was on gentleness.  Grandpa is one of the most gentle men I have ever known.  Christ refers to himself as gentle in Matthew 11:28-30.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Grandpa had a very calming influence.  In fact, sometimes it felt a little silly to be anxious about anything when you were with Grandpa.

Patient.  Grandpa was so patient.  He didn't get bent out of shape about little things, and he could always overlook mistakes and move on.

Bearing with one another in love.  With 14 grandkids running around his house, he always just seemed glad to have us there.  Grandpa was always willing to let us follow him around, whatever he was doing-- feeding cats, working in the woodshop, or doing yard work.  He never made us feel like a bother or annoyance, even though were probably slowed him down.

Peace.  Grandpa always wanted peace.  Not only was he a peacemaker, he was a peacekeeper.

Matthew 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called son of God."

Here is a link to Pastor Bob's sermon on gentleness. It sums up what I feel about Grandpa pretty well.

1 comment: