Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Oatmeal Week: Granola

Sometimes when we were growing up, my mom would make granola.  When we got to junior high and high school, it became a favorite snack before track practice and during meets.  Our friends loved it, too.


I don't think I've made it since I've been married, but I decided to give it a try.  I tried a different recipe from the one I grew up on (it was labeled "The Best Granola"), but to be honest... I didn't like it as well.  So the pictures are from the "new" recipe, but I am going to share the "old" recipe.  

I have recommended the More With Less Cookbook before, and I am plugging it again now.  It actually has several granola recipes, but (I think) this is the one my mom used.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine in a large bowl 7 cups of dry ingredients including
  • at least 2-3 c rolled oats, plus other grains and nuts as desired:
    • wheat germ
    • whole wheat flour
    • wheat bran
    • wheat grits
    • cornmeal
    • soy flour, grits, or roasted beans
    • grape nuts
    • uncooked cereals (Ralston, Wheatens, etc.)
    • sunflower seeds
    • sesame seeds
    • pumpkin seeds, roasted
    • fresh grated or dried coconut
    • dry milk
    • chopped nuts
    • spices- cinnamont, nutmeg, etc.


Combine separately and pour over dry ingredients 1 cup liquids including as desired:

  • honey
  • syrup
  • molasses
  • brown sugar (use 2 T water with 1/2 c sugar)
  • oil
  • melted margarine/butter
  • peanut butter
  • milk or cream


Bake in large greased baking pans 30-60 minutes, stirring often.  DO not over-brown.  Crunchiness depends on proportions and baking time.  For a chunkier cereal, allow to cool undisturbed, then break into pieces.  Add when cool, as desired:


raisins
chopped dates
dried apples
apricots
other fruits

No comments:

Post a Comment