Monday, January 23, 2012

Meditation

I was just reading in a magazine about the health benefits of meditation, and I started thinking about why I don't meditate.

Actually, I do meditate.  I meditate on things that I want that I don't have.  I meditate on things that I want to be that I'm not.  I meditate on how to get those things and be those things.  I also meditate on many of the world's problems and how they are way too big for me to solve.  I meditate on how I mess up, and how others mess up, too.

I also meditate on the bakery I want to own someday :)


Most of these meditations are not good for my health (including the bakery).

I know that there is a strong association between meditation and eastern religions/ mysticism, but the Bible has some things to say about it, too. (Emphasis in the following verses is mine.)

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.  He like a tree planted by steams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither.  Whatever he does prospers." Psalm 1:1-3

"May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14

"Jesus replied: ' "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind." This is the first and greatest commandment.'"
Matthew 22:37

"Finally brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable,--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things."Philippians 4:8

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God."
Colossians 3:2


I am not suggesting that we all have to sit quietly for an hour a day and meditate, but even just 5 or 10 quiet minutes of just focusing on God's truth will remind us of who He is, hide His Words in our heart so that we can recall them quickly when we need them for ourselves or for encouraging others.

I will try to post on a weekly basis a scripture for meditation throughout the week.  Think about His Words as you go about your daily chores, share them with others, and hide them in your heart.

To get things going, I will meditate on this verse this week.

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.  For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: 'The righteous will live by faith.'" Romans 1:16-17


No comments:

Post a Comment