Thursday, August 4, 2011

Raspberry Fortnight: Raspberry Buckle

I wanted a raspberry coffeecake recipe, and this raspberry buckle by Better Homes and Gardens sounded like a good (and easy) candidate.  What is a buckle?  Based on some quick internet searching, here is a stripped-down description of fruit recipes.

Cobbler: Fruit filling with biscuit topping
Brown Betty: Fruit with buttered bread cubes
Buckle: A coffee cake with fruit and streusel topping


First I made a relatively basic coffee cake (quick-bread-type, not yeast-bread-type) batter.  It reminded me of cherry bars.  Put it in a greased pan.


Top with berries.  This looked like plenty when I put them on, but I sort of forgot the recipe called for 2 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder so it would rise a lot and be cakey.  It tasted ok, but more berries would have been ok, too.  The recipe called for 2 cups fresh, and that doesn't translate directly into my solid lump of berries, so I had to wing it.  And I drained these berries, too.  I wanted juice for the next recipe.



Then top it with a crumb mixture.



And bake it until it is golden and delicious.




Here's the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment