Sunday, July 24, 2011

Raspberry Week: Raspberry Crisp

As I mentioned in one of my posts yesterday, my mother gave me an extremely generous gift of 2 gallons of raspberries when we stopped by my folks' house a couple of weeks ago.  She work for an agricultural research institution, so they grow raspberries, pick them, weigh them to see what thier yield is, and then are done with them.  My mom helps pick them so that she can get them for free. 



She had been bringing loads of raspberries home, and needed to get these out of her freezer so she could have room to put more in her freezer.  (In case you didn't know, raspberries have a very, very, very short shelf life.  As in blink and they will be rotten.)  Since she was overloaded with raspberries, she just threw them into gallon-size freezer bags, and into the deep freeze they went.

In order to use these raspberries, I have to thaw the whole big chunk and use it quickly.  But I am not complaining!  It would cost about half of our mortgage to buy the rapsberries she gifted me.  The problem with living in a world where mass quantities of raspberries are expensive to aquire (unless you have your own bushes or know someone who does), is that you spend little time day dreaming about delicious raspberry recipes, because it is just too heart breaking.  Its like dreaming about winning one million dollars-- what's the point?


But I do have a few ideas, and have already stared on this week's raspberry adventure.  When I need a recipe, who do I turn to first?  Pioneer Woman, of course!  And she did not disappoint.  I made her raspberry crisp and man, was it good!  Now I am enjoying the leftovers on my oatmeal in the morning. 



And with whipped cream after lunch.  And with ice cream after dinner :)  But let me tell you this about it... PUT IN ALL THE BUTTER SHE SAYS.  I thought it seemed a little excessive, so I cut back to half of a stick, but it needed the whole 3/4 stick.  YOU MUST TRUST THE PIONEER WOMAN!

More recipes to come later this week.  If you have a good recipe for frozen raspberries, please be sure to share!  If I don't get to it this week, I have another gallon of berries in the freezer!

Pioneer Woman's Raspberry Crisp

No comments:

Post a Comment