Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Real Life with the Taylors: Kitchen Cabinet Update

Hi Kids!  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I spent mucho time with friends, which is always lovely.  We also made great strides in our kitchen cabinet makeover. In fact, let's take a moment for another episode of Real Life with the Taylor's.

The cabinets got painted months ago, and then in one very tense evening before Bunco, I tried to hang the cabinet doors by myself.  This method is not recommended.  Thankfully, Autumn came to my rescue and we got 'er done.  But they've been sitting without knobs and pulls for about two months now.  Until Sunday night, that is.







Tada!  They are now properly dressed!  Now my kitchen is really presentable.  Right?  Wrong.   See how nice this looks (ignoring the mess on the counter top)?


Shift a couple inches to the left and this is what you see.


Underneath a kitchen sink is always a scary place. Unfortunately the left door was attached, but... it fell off.  So, we'll need to fix that.


Then there are these nicely finished cabinets by the fridge and stove.  Look down, and you see... 


...a messy counter (although it always looks like that), a dogbutt, and an exposed cabinet  But(t) not to worry!  These doors didn't fall off... they just haven't been re-installed yet, because we are missing a hinge.  Real life, People.

And finally, the buffet.


Doors with hardware!

And the top of the buffet: 




 Much the same as usual. I have all kinds of hopes about keeping this clean and ready to host a party, but it is a large flat surface, and therefore extremely likely it accumulate junk. Even in my "season of extra free time", I can't seem to keep it under control what with one project and the next... not that I really try to keep it clean. I usually only clean it off when I need space to set something else, although sometimes I just pile things on top.

I'm sure I'm not alone. Most homes have a junk drawer, but since we only have two drawers in our kitchen, we really can't afford for either of them to be a junk drawer.

Well, that's the update. I don't know about you, but I think things are really starting to look up around here.

Stay warm!

2 comments:

  1. they look adorable! i love that your cabinets have the rolling shelves... remind me of grandma's cabinets. the handles are cute too! and if it was me... and i had company coming over... i would find an empty laundry basket and make one big sweeping motion with my arm for all of the stuff on the top of the buffet and then stash the basket in a closet... but that's just me! ;) so i don't think you need to worry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The laundry basket idea sounds fabulous, except that I need several of the things that are on the buffet in order to host. Like the coffee maker that has been sitting there with the lid wide open for no apparent reason...

      (and, as always, thanks for your comments! I always get a little thrill when I see I have a comment :)

      Delete