Saturday, November 2, 2013

Real Life with the Taylors: Progresslessness

It's time for another episode of Real Life with the Taylors.  For those of you who may be new around here, Real Life with the Taylors is where I take some time to air my dirty laundry, and show you all the messes and imperfections of this life of ours.  I just don't wan't you thinking its all fun and games.  But there are a lot of fun and games, too.





A couple of weeks ago, Ellie came over to help me with a project.  We made a lot of progress, too!  Cupboard doors were removed, several cupboards were emptied, and the cabinet bases were painted.  The door (with all of the hardware still attached) have been sitting on the front porch ever since...completely untouched.  Virtually no progress has been made on this project for the last 3 weeks.





Wait!  One exception.  We finally purchased hinges!  So I now officially have no excuse to not finish the project.  The goal is to get everything put back together by November 12th for Bunco.

Since our buffet is covered in dishes, I thought this could be an opportunity to train us to not use the buffet as a dumping ground.  While we haven't been able to accumulate junk on the buffet, it has simply been transferred to the hi-fi.

Why hasn't the project been finished? Well..its not because I'm "so busy" anymore (thank goodness).  Its just that... I've found a new obsession.

Dancing With the Stars.


Photos from Week 1 of DWTS Fall 2013
source
True to form, I come into every trend late.  But I come in with full gusto.  As if obsessing over the current season isn't enough (and watching the dances over and over and over), Mindy told me to check out Derek Hough and Kellie Pickler's Supersize Freestyle.



 Guys.  It's amazing.  But you probably already knew that, because I'm always the last to figure things out.  Anyway, that led to watching ALL KINDS of videos from past seasons.  And since the show is now in its 17th season... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is A LOT of video footage to be viewed instead of sanding cabinet doors.

But that's another topic for another day.

In other news, last weekend Tim and I ran away for a little while to celebrate our anniversary. (Thanks for all of your anniversary wishes and kind feedback.)  We stayed at the Hotel Julien in Dubuque.  As we were walking down the hall to our room, and I was telling Tim which room number it was, I had an amazing realization.




27 is the date of our anniversary.  And 6 is for our 6 year anniversary!  I get excited about these things.

And finally, Sapphire came over today.  The dogs were VERY happy to see her, as always.




Also, she brought her traditional pumpkin brownie over, and we ate A LOT of it, in addition to homemade french bread, butternut squash soup, eggs benedict, and fried potatoes (this was spread over two meals and three people).  And we watched Julie and Julia (again).  Such a good movie.



So here's the question of the day.  If you were going to cook your way through a cookbook in a year, what cookbook would you choose?  I might have to go with More With Less, partly because it would be a good way to try a lot of new things, and partly because it may be one of the more affordable cookbooks to cook through (ingredient-wise).  But Joy the Baker would be pretty tempting, too.  Or there's always the classic Better Homes and Gardens.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you watched Drew Lachey and Cheryl Burke's Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy routine, as it is awesome and voted the best dance ever on the show :) Love your blog! Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot another important significance to 627. It's my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Tweetums! Speaking of birthdays, I have noticed that 4:16 is the most frequent time that I look at the clock. Do you have the same issue at 6:27? I'm sure its just that I noticed it more.

    Ashley, yes I did see Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy, and I LOVED it. Cheryl is one of my favorite pros. I can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving either!

    ReplyDelete