Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Real Life with the Taylors: Vegetables and the Garage

Earlier this summer I was visiting family, and a few of them mentioned they enjoyed reading my blog.  Alyssa said "I really admire people that find the time to do things like that."  I assured her that the reason I do have time is because I don't clean my house or walk my dogs.  I shared this conversation with Cheri later, and was explaining to her that people only see the things that get done... not the 1,000,001 things that I don't do.  I don't have a clean house (like, ever), and I don't workout very often either.  Well we don't know that!  Just let us keep believing it! Was her simple, reassuring reply.  I could just show you all of the productive things that I do, and let you guys think I do ALL the things .  But I don't want you to think that!!!  Because I don't do it all, and I'm not pulled together at all.  I'm a mess, People!


So, in an effort to provide some perspective, I am going to try to start a regular installment on this blog called "Real Life With the Taylors"  where I try to give you glimpses of real life around here.  The bad, the ugly, AND the good.  Sometimes we spend so much time being "humble" and talking ourselves down to make sure people view us correctly that we go too far the other way, and make ourselves out to be total failures.  

We're not failures.

But I am a mess.

Last week Joy the Baker admitted that she always burns the toast.  And it made me so happy.  Because my food is not always beautiful... I burn the toast all. the. time.

So, in a somewhat regular (frequency tbd) fashion, I will share with you my burned toast.  And the awesome egg salad I was making that caused me to burn the toast.  (This is a metaphor   I have no egg salad to share with you.)

Here goes!


This is my cucumber plant.  I don't know what happened, but it probably has to do with extreme lack of water.  This year I did  a great job of getting my garden planted on time.  Not so good in the watering department.  It just takes so much time, you know?  



In other news, roasted broccoli is all the rage at our house right now.  I roast two heads and then Tim and I stand there at the stove and eat it right of the pan with our fingers.  This week I bought 3 packages of broccoli.  Next week I think I'll buy 4.  I got the roasting "recipe" here, from Andie at Can You Stay for Dinner.  Also, Joy the Baker told me I could re-use parchment paper, so I do.  A lot.

I started this broccoli thing because I have been on a weight-loss challenge with my family ever since I got back from vacation a month ago.  I've been working out, counting calories, having healthy snacks, getting sleep (for the most part).  So far I've gained two pounds.

Another thing that doesn't get done around here: garage cleaning.



This is our garage right now.




How do you walk in there?  You ask.

Very carefully. 


Oh look!   A pathway!  At least we can get into the truck.  Which is very important, because this is what the car looks like right now.



And its been that way since last Monday.  Because a pulley went bad and the serpentine belt went out (don't worry, I was able to drive it home).  No point in fixing the belt until we have a new pulley... which Tim ordered that night and still hasn't come.

So yes, I did make an awesome dinner of pot roast (SO good, SO easy), roasted broccoli, and mashed potatoes, and I have laundry going.  And I have homemade applesauce in the fridge.  But I didn't make the applesauce.  And we have no milk.

But that's ok, because my worth is not determined by my cucumber plants, or cleanliness of my garage.  And I'm not going to heaven because I roast broccoli and do laundry (occasionally).  It's only by the grace of God.

Remember kids... just because you're a mess doesn't mean you're a failure!

ps- Thanks for reading.  I'm glad you all enjoy it enough to keep coming back.  I appreciate you!!!!

1 comment:

  1. That garage thing, a Taylor tradition. You always must have some (many) project half torn apart (or is it half put together?). Plus, we are strong advocates of the "reuse" principle of recycling, even if it was somebody's throw away. Save the planet one "insert name of electro-mechanical device here" at a time. Like that classic institutional green battery charger. You wouldn't want that in your landfill would you?

    ReplyDelete