Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Operation Odor Elimination Part 2: The Battle Continues

As I mentioned Monday, we've been having trouble with the dogburts, specifically one.  To make a long story short, our house-- particularly the living room carpet-- stinks.

Monday night we tried using a steam cleaner and a 50/50 combination of water and vinegar.

Here's the thing I'm noticing about vinegar: People seem to think it's the miracle-eco-friendly-works-amazing-solution-to-every-life-problem.

Here's my question:  Vinegar has been around a long time and if it was really all that why would people have bothered making new products?

What I'm trying to say is this: it didn't work.  BUT, in vinegar's defense, we didn't use much mixture, because we only had so much vinegar, so maybe we didn't soak the carpet enough.

Regardless, we're changing our tactic.  Tonight I went to HyVee and came home with this:


4 boxes of baking soda (two for sprinkling, two for setting out ), Febreeze Pet Odor Eliminator carpet freshening powder, Rug Doctor Pet Formula carpet shampoo, and Sensodyne Pro-Namel toothpaste.  I ran out a couple weeks ago(I've been using Tim's normal toothpaste in the meantime) and my teeth have been taking a toll, which is really inhibiting my ability to enjoy leftover Halloween candy.

We decided to still keep things green*, and call in the Rug Doctor.  They have a spray called Urine-Gone that Tim's coworker recommended, as well as Febreeze Pet-Odor spray.  I didn't get the Urine-Gone, because we were wanting to do a more full-scale shampoo, and they didn't have the Pet-Odor spray, but I found this powder that looks promising.  Tim's coworker said the spray works so well that even if you put your nose right against the carpet you can't smell the urine.



*This product came in a green bottle.  I don't mean its from recycled materials (although it could be) I mean the bottle literally is green. And that's probably the extent of the "green-ness."




Once again, Tim's doing the heavy lifting.  Jynx is trying to help out by keeping the steam-cleaner in line.  




We're taking it slower tonight and really trying to soak the carpet, because last night we rolled back the carpet and saw the stains from the many, many, (many!) times doguburts have been naughty, so we wanted to try to soak through and get those out.

This product says it has enzymes that will "deter pet's from remarking."  I really hope it works, because I'm getting sick of the comments from the peanut gallery. (Dogs nowadays are so sassy.)




After this all dries out, I think we'll sprinkle the Febreeze powder between the rug and the carpet pad.  I will let you know how it turns out.

But before I go, I need to reveal the answer to the survey question last Monday.

Which dog is being naughty?

I got one vote for each dog.  And the answer is...




Tico!  Kelly wins!  Don't let his big eyes fool you, he is a very naughty boy.  A bad boy that will be sleeping in his cage for quite a while.

1 comment: