Saturday, April 14, 2012

things around here

And now its time for another episode of Real Life with the Taylors, where Stephanie gives you a glimpse of what real life is like around here.



I found this vignette in the bathroom on Monday.  Sometimes, Tim does goofy things just to see if I notice.  The container with the pink label is jewelry cleaner.  My ring has lost some luster this week, because I haven't cleaned it, because I didn't want to interfere with this setup because I wanted to take a picture and share it here.


In other bathroom-on-Monday related news, Tim and I had this conversation while getting ready for bed.


Tim: I am going to tell you this, because you haven't noticed yet.  I have been switching which side your loufa is on every day. 
We hook the loop of our loufas on the shower-stopper thing, so that the loufa's hang on either side of the tub spigot.  I would take a picture to help explain, but then you would know how not-clean my shower is.
Stephanie:Really?  How long have you been doing this?
Tim: About six months.
Stephanie: Oh.  I guess I had started to notice in the last week...


A few things about this.

  • For the past 6 months, I have been confused about which way to turn which faucet to make the shower water hotter or colder.  I have experienced lots of very hot and very cold water in the process, and still can't seem to get it straight.  I attribute my confusion to this unknown-loufa exchange.  It has thrown off my sense of direction.
  • Why would I not notice the loufa switcheroos for 6 months, but after it has been going along for so long that it seems "normal" would I suddenly start to notice it.
  • There was no reason for Tim's switching the loufas.  He just wanted to see if I noticed.  And he kept doing it for six months.
  • Just to be clear, I always used my loufa...it was not a matter of forgetting which was mine.

I am wearing these sock today.  They are reindeer, in case you couldn't tell.  I acquired them at one of those gift exchanges where you can steal gift in Christmas of 2010, and just decided to start wearing them yesterday. 


In other Saturday-afternoon-apparel news, I am also wearing yoga pants and my favorite cardigan that may or may not make me look like a grandma/librarian.



Remember this project we started awhile ago?  Oh, you don't?  Maybe because it was a million years ago and I didn't really talk about it that much.  And I probably didn't talk about it because its just such a pain in the butt.


My amazing husband is getting close to finishing this phase.  And (I'm not gonna lie) its pretty exciting to be moving forward.  Also, my husband is super-sexy when he flexes his (literal and mental) muscles and decides to get something done.  As his coworkers say,


Big-Time Timmy-Jim does not mess around. (Heretofore known as BTTJDNMA)


See how those joists are up there, all glued and nailed in place?




Freakin'.  Amazing. 


If you have ever tried to insert new joists in an old house, you can appreciate how difficult it is to put THREE in.  And glue them.


And if you have never tried to do this... don't.





Do you know what's in those trash bags?  A wall.


Do you know what's on top of them?  An air duct.



Yes, that is The Airduct that comes out of our heater, and the duct that pretty much all other ducts come off of.  And we took it down Tuesday night to get the joists in.

You know what happened after that?  The temperature dropped.  Freeze warnings.  Windy nights.

I awoke to a 58 degree hosue Wednesday morning.

The heat has been turned off since mid- February, due to unseasonably warm temperatures. Warm temperatures that ended when the duct came down.  Yes, we could turn the heat on, but that would just mean a really toasty basement.  Which would do nothing to solve the freezing-cold toilet seat problem we have (don't you hate that?!).

Luckily, we have  a fireplace, which has been wonderful for warming up the house.

When I was home alone the other day I started a fire in the fire place.  And I set of two smoke detectors (the one on the main level, and the one upstairs.  The house still smells like smoke. :)  Hate it when that happens.

Well, that concludes this episode of Real Life with the Taylors, your glimpse into the exciting and glamorous life of the married and childless.

Have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. I wished to see a picture of your favorite cardigan also! So I can help judge if it's too grandmotherly or librarian like...hah lol. Also, I wanted to see your smiling face! Love, Aunt Lynette p.s. - Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I just say how freaking much I love these adorable and heartwarming blog posts??!!!! I smile at my son's antics--some things never change and the apple does not fall far from the tree. His dad still on occasion hides a realistic plastic alligator in unsuspecting places just to hear me scream. LOL I miss these little things in life and it helps me feel closer in heart to you two when the miles oh so seperate us. Thanks for sharing your 'real lives' with me. I treasure them!! Love you both dearly and miss you even more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After the whole loufa/lufah/luffa/loofah (pick your spelling) incident, I was surprised that the duck memorial was noticed the same day!

    ReplyDelete