Thursday, November 3, 2011

before Hilton Head

The week(s) leading up to our departure for Hilton Head were slightly hectic.  I had lots to do at work with the end of a month and the end of a quarter.  At home, there were lots of "before the ground freezes" project that may or may not have been completed before we left.  For all we knew, we would come back to a blanket of snow!


To further complicate my life, I set a couple of goals.  

1.) 45 days before we left, Mom, Mandy, and I decided we would each do 30 workouts before we vacation.  
2.)Around the end of September I came back from a particularly rigorous grocery shopping trip and realized we had a ridiculous amount of food in our house, so I  decided not to buy groceries (except eggs and milk) until it was time to get food for our trip.

I am happy to report that I did pretty well on both goals.

I completed 43 workouts before we left.  And I am really glad I did.  We tend to be very active in Hilton Head with lots of walking and biking, and I think I handled (and therefore enjoyed) those activities a lot better since I was in better shape.

Our freezer and pantry were still in really good shape after a few weeks of no groceries, although our fruit and veggies consumption took a nosedive toward the end.  Actually, what I ran out of was butter and flour and sugar.  I was so concerned with "conserving" food that I cooked from scratch a lot more.  I think this is an exercise I need to repeat a couple time per year.

Setting a workout goal like that has been really beneficial and motivating for me at other times, too.  Although I do tend to procrastinate and find myself doing 3 workouts toward the end of the time frame.  At Mandy's prompting, I decided to shorten the time frame on my next goal.  So here is my goal:

20 workouts in the 30 days before Thanksgiving.  And this time, I am keeping y'alls updated on how I am progressing.  Over on the left you can see my workout countdown... and I'm not procrastinating (yet)!

I have to give Rachel credit for inspiring me with her 100 workouts in a year (or something like that) goal.  I try to stay away from goals like "lose 10 pound by Christmas" because I don't feel like my weight is something I can control that much.  But I can control how much exercise I get and what I put in my mouth.  So my other goal is to eat more vegetables.

Anyone want to join me in my 20 workouts by Thanksgiving?  I know its kinda late in the game, so you could cut it back to 15 workouts.  You can DO it!

No comments:

Post a Comment