Monday, November 7, 2011

Baby Proof

This weekend I offered to watch my friends' 4 kids one evening so they could go out on a date.  Since all four of the children are not even school-age, and he's a farmer that works another full-time job, they don't get a lot of one-on-one time together.

And no, I haven't lost my mind... I enlisted Katie to help out.


Things went pretty well--no one got hurt, nothing was broken or damaged, and for the most part tears were taken care of when we solved The Case of the Missing Pacifier.

However, it was a valuable learning experience, since within the first 5 minutes of their parents walking out the door, I became acutely aware of approximately 60,000 ways I had forgotten to child-proof.

I know you all have better things to do than to read a random list of 60,000 things, so I have narrowed it down to...

THE TOP 10 THINGS I NEED TO DO MAKE THIS OLD HOUSE BABY-SAFE

1. Find a cupboard for my games.  Currently they are all lined up on our window seat, right at toddler eye-level. 

2. Clean off the bottom 4-5 feet of my fridge.  Currently, Christmas card pictures, "Save the Date" cards, and pictures created for me by various kids in my life form a type of "wallpaper" on the fridge, and I love it this way.  But some of that ended up on the floor, and I had to move magnets so they did not end up in mouths.

3. Get in the habit of closing the "door" on the computer tower so that buttons are not tantalizingly blinking and saying "press me! press me!"

4. Remove the weather radio from the stairs.  (Yes, it sits on a stair at our house.)

5. Find a new location for the paper-shredded.  (Remember, no one got hurt...)

6. Come to think of it, have nothing anywhere in my house that is below chair-rail height.

7. Get more carpet.  There is an amazing lack of space for setting down a baby at this house.  Does anyone know where I can buy some carpet seed?  Considering our success at growing grass, I probably need to start this now, because it could take awhile to grow any substantial carpet.

8. Find a new place for the fireplace tools.

9. Get rid of two dogs.

10. Find a way to be in three places at once.  I know this might be a difficult one to accomplish, but if I can even be in two places at one, I will consider it a success.


2 comments:

  1. I can perfectly picture your entire weekend!! I feel your pain. I remember when Tim was just beginning to be mobile. "No we are not going to move anything. We are going to teach him the meaning of no and that certain items he may not touch...." You can guess how long that lasted! LOL. After the 10th time in the coal bucket in 7 minutes..., well I'm sure you get the picture. The good news is.....you usually only get one child at a time and you can slowly grow into the house proofing. You had a baptism by fire! LOL. AND you lived to tell about it! CONGRATULATIONS on surviving...you and your house:D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Funny. Thanks so much again Steph, we had a great time and it was very much needed!!!!

    ReplyDelete