Monday, October 10, 2011

Last Weekend

I mentioned a few weeks ago that it was cold outside and we had built a fire in our fireplace.  We were really on a kick because we have built 4 fires so far this season.

This summer, a large windstorm hit our area.  Very few people were hurt, and I don't even know that many buildings were destroyed, but there was a lot of damage and a really big mess.  The city compost is burgeoning with trees, so last Sunday Tim borrowed a chainsaw, and went and picked up this load of "firewood."



As you can see, there was still a lot of work to be done before it could even fit in the fireplace.  I said, "Wow Honey, that's great that you got a whole lot of firewood for free."  Then I went inside and took a nap.

Tim got to work chopping.  Then he told me that 2 hours was long enough for a nap for me, and that I needed to help him stack the wood.  So now we have this.


The weather has warmed up considerably from those fire building weekends, and harvest is in full swing, so that means lots and lots of dust.  Which means that (although we live smack-dab in the middle of town), my house is really dirty.

We've had burn bans for about a week now, and although the farmers are grateful for the dry weather for harvest, I think (hope!) they are being extra careful to prevent combine fires.  But these hot, dry, windy conditions are great for seasoning our firewood!  It might be dry before the first snow hits!  

How was your weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment