Thursday, July 1, 2010

Adventures With Eggs

Two weeks ago Fairway had eggs on sale for $.49 a dozen (limit 2).   We didn't particularly need eggs, but who can pass up a deal like that? Eggs keep for awhile anyway...I bought two dozen.

Then last week HyVee was having an AWESOME $1 sale on lots of things: cheese, Little Debbie Snacks, Ribs, bread...and eggs.  $1.00 for two dozen.  Again, who can pass up a deal like that?  Eggs are a cheap source of protein anyway...I bought two dozen.

And so we begin our adventures with eggs.  Its time to make all of those dishes that require a lot of eggs that you never seem to have on hand.  Tuesday night we had brunch casserole.  I used Mom Howard's recipe, because it is different from any other one I've ever had, plus I had a tube of crescent rolls and didn't have a lot of bread (I was able to pass up that deal at HyVee).

I don't think she will mind me sharing her recipe:

1 lb. of bulk pork sausage (fyi- Bob Evans is THE BEST)
1 (8 oz) can of crescent rolls
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 eggs beaten
2/3 cups milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Crumble sausage in skillet.  Cook until brown.  Drain well.  Line 9x13 (buttered) pan with crescent rolls pressing to seal perforations.  Sprinkle with sausage & cheese.

Combine remaining ingredients, beat and pour over sausage & cheese.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15-18 minutes.  Let stand for 6 minutes.  Cut into squares and serve immediately.

Recipe from Nancy Howard.

No comments:

Post a Comment