Thursday, July 1, 2010

Souffle

Since I have so many eggs on hand, I figured I would try to make a souffle.  I whipped out the good ol' Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (some may know it better as "the Betty Crocker Cookbook... not to be confused with the actual Betty Crocker Cookbook) and found a simple recipe.


First things first... separate the eggs.  That handy dandy metal thingie is an egg separator.  It holds onto the yolk while the white 

s  l  o  w  l y falls into the cup below.

Then we make a white sauce by melting butter and mixing it with flour, then mixing in the milk and cooking until it thickens.

Don't forget the spices... just a touch of each.











Next we stir the cheese into the white sauce and make it all melty.  We could just throw in some cooked macaroni, bake it, and call it a day, but we won't... we want to use the eggs!

We mix this with the egg yolks and let it cool a little bit.  Meanwhile, I pull out the electric mixer and whip the egg whites into submission.

Then we mix it all together, folding gently so that it stays fluffy.


Into the pan...


And then through the magic of the internet...
 eggs cooked light and fluffy!  It was pretty good, but it basically tasted just like cheesy scrambled eggs... kind of a lot of work when we could have just mixed it in a bowl then fried it in a pan.  Oh well, at least I had the experience.

1 comment:

  1. yummmmmmy!

    the idea of cooking something new when I'm bored would NEVER cross my mind. The difference between me and you. haha

    ReplyDelete