Sunday, July 25, 2010

Macaroni & Cheese

As I read and follow other blogs, I often feel inadequate.  How is everyone else's life so picture-perfect and cute?  How do they find the time to do all of that crafting, decorating, and cooking while taking awesome pictures of the whole process and then find the time to blog about it?!  Satan has somehow snuck the idea into my mind that in addition to having a clean, perfectly and stylishly decorated home, cooking fabulous (yet nutritionally balanced) meals, as well as doing my best to look attractive myself, being wifish also requires me to be an excellent blogger as well.  I am fighting this lie, and God continues to remind me that He wants me to be me, not someone else.


So, in an effort to embrace who He made me to be, I am choosing to focus on my strengths.  Probably my only strength in the wifish arena is my ability to cook (aka, my collection of delicious recipes).  I will make an effort to share one recipe per week with you all, to encourage you and help you in your wifishness, or at least in your culinary efforts.  And in the mean time let's remember to seek the wifishness God desires of us, not Martha Stewart or Better Homes and Gardens.  And we should seek the Lord first, and our husbands second.

This week's recipe is one of those recipes that is SO EASY it almost feels like cheating, but I get many compliments on it, and Tim loves it.  In fact, his great-grandfather invented this dish and it has been passed down through the generations.  I hope I'm allowed to share it and that its not some big family secret because 1) I have already shared it with a couple dozen people and 2) I'm going to post it here whether I'm allowed to or not...there's  no turning back now!  I firmly believe that food is meant to be shared, so recipes should be shared.  To keep a recipe as your own "secret" recipe because you don't want anyone to show you up by making it, or --gasp!-- making it better than you, is nothing short of prideful.  Unless you are a business owner and make money off of the recipe... then its ok.  I will tell you now, if you share a recipe with me, it will no longer be a "secret" because I will probably share it with someone else. 

Sorry for that soapbox... I'm passionate about recipes.  Now, on to the mac & cheese.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MACARONI & CHEESE

Cook 1 cup of dry macaroni.
Cut one chunk of cheese into small chunks (the Focht rule of thumb is the sharper the cheese the better).  I usually use 8-12 oz. of sharp or extra sharp cheddar.
Mix macaroni and cheese with 1 can of condensed tomato soup and 1/2 can of milk.
Bake for 1 hour at 350.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all... seriously.  And its really good.  You can use it as a side dish or as a main dish.  I have also been known to make it in a crock pot.

If any of you out there have any requests for recipes you would like me to share, let me know and I will be more than happy to oblige.

3 comments:

  1. I have two things to say about this blog, Stephanie. First and most importantly....cooking is not the only 'wifish' thing you do with excellence. Dad and I are so thankful to the Lord for the wife you are to our son. Tim could not have a more perfectly suited wife for himself. God knew just what he was doing when he introduced you two to one another. You are a woman and wife of excellence, Stephanie. You are a treasure to Tim and to our family! We love you and are thankful for you beyond words.

    Secondly, share away the family recipe!! :) That is what recipes are for---sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! you adapted 'wifish' into your vocabulary! i can totally identify with your feelings of inadaquacy, btw. and who cares about blogging? i only blog because it's theraputic for me... not because i feel like i HAVE to to be a good wife!! you have LOTS to offer! and i love your recipes. keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has greatly helped my wifishness Steph, if by that you mean cooking. Because that's what is seems to mean as you use it.

    This recipe is(!) super-easy, and takes very little time. Just enough time in fact to make rice pudding while it is in the oven. Let that be a lesson to you: there should always be time for desert.

    I may have ate 2/3 of this as soon as I made it, while watching Iron Man 2 (which was a terrible movie).

    ReplyDelete