Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Real Life with the Taylors: Making Breakfast Burritos (for dinner)

We're back with another episode of Real Life with the Taylors-- where I help you feel better about yourself and your kitchen skillz.  

Today we're cooking (breakfast for) dinner.  If we had some kind of regular meal rotation around here, these would definitely be a part of it.  

Here's how you make them.

Step 1: Cook some bacon. Baking it in the oven allows you to move on to other steps while its cooking, cleanup is easier, and every square inch of your house won't smell like bacon. 




(Real Life Moment: When I cook burn bacon on the stove EVERYTHING smells like bacon, even our towels in the bathroom upstairs.  I love bacon as much as the next guy, but...)  Cooking it in a skillet requires more attention, but its faster and the pan drippings are available for...


Step 2: Cook some potatoes.  I nuked these to soften them, then chopped them and crisped them in the bacon grease.  I often use frozen hash browns.  I have also simply boiled potatoes and diced them, and that is also delicious.


Step 3: Grate some cheese, and be all fancy and put it in a bowl.  Or just put a bag of cheese on the dinner table.  If I feed you at my house and I have made the effort to put the cheese in a bowl, that means that 

a) there are a lot of people coming to eat
b) there are going to be small children that are not very skilled in precision-pouring shredded cheese from a bag onto a taco or burrito

In either case, please be astounded at my thoughtfulness.  If I don't bother with a bowl, don't be offended... I just know you are mature enough to handle that kind of responsibility.




 Step 4: Warm up the tortillas.  Tim has perfected this task, but he was busy last night so I was on my own.  We put two tortillas in a hot pan, then flip them together, so only one side of each tortilla gets warmed directly on the pan.  



Here I demonstrate the two ways your tortilla can burn.  On the top you see what I call "uniform burning."  This is where the over-crispisization is more evenly distrubted.  Below is what I call "bubble burning."  Tortillas have natural bubbles in them, which inflate when heated.  As you can see, just the bubble areas got burnt.


I like to butter the burnt ones while they're still warm and devour them.  If I'm in charge of heating the tortillas, I usually burn at least one because I'm going a million things, then burn another one, because I'm too busy eating the first burned one.

It's really just best if Tim heats the tortillas.



Step 5: (not pictured) Cook yourself some scrambled eggs. 

(Real Life Moment: I cannot seem to type the word "step."  I always type "Steph" then backspace.  "Time" is also a struggle, because I leave off the "e."


Step 6: Roast those Hatch chiles you grew in your garden, peel them, and dice them.  Alternately, you can crack open a can of these (Real Life Moment: I ALWAYS use this option), put them in a mug (our dishwasher can only accommodate a limited amount of bowls, so I look for other options when I can), and nuke them for 30 seconds.  Be warned that they will sputter and explode in your microwave.  Also, I will not judge you if you leave the residue in your microwave and let it build up for weeks months.  No judgement.  At all.  Just real life.


Dinner time!



Assemble the burritos.




Yum!




Nom, nom, nom, nom.


Real life: Jynx likes to rest her chin on the chair rungs.  This often leads to awake-snoring.



Real life: Tico is usually right there.



Real Life:  Toby's always looking to catch some stray noms, yet very frequently has no interest in his dry dog food, so Jynx eats it.


Do you guys burn stuff too?  On the regular?  Please tell me I'm not alone...

No comments:

Post a Comment