Thursday, September 5, 2013

Real Life with the Taylors: Kitchen Mess & Brownies

First Real Life Moment:  I was going to write this last night, but life got in the way so I didn't.

On today's episode, we will talk about the never-ending train-wreck that is my kitchen.




This is what it looked like yesterday.  I would like to say its because I had Bunco Tuesday and this is the aftermath of the party.  Which is true.  But if there had been no party, this would have been the aftermath of dinner. 

The bruschette (on the right) was soggy by the time my Bunco girls went home, so I knew I wouldn't bother saving it.  I also didn't bother throwing it away.  The bruschetta topping was also not worth keeping, so I just left the bowl sitting on the counter.  I didn't dump it down the garbage disposal, because my sink was full of dirty dishes.

Sometimes I feel like I get caught in this messy kitchen cycle.  It goes something like this:

I can't cook dinner because the counters are full of dirty dishes and I have no room to function.
I can't wash the dishes because the sink is full, and the dishwasher is full.  I can't get dishes out of the sink, because the counters are full of dirty dishes.  So I am at a standstill.

Does anyone else have this problem?  Does anyone have a solution?

I've been trying to be better about cleaning up the kitchen before I go to bed, and I have been getting a lot better at it...really, I have.  And it is a great feeling to come home to a little counter space.

Also, I find cleaning the kitchen to be a rather fulfilling task.  It can look overwhelming and ominous, like it will take hours to do, but really it doesn't end up taking very long at all.




Here is more food-related real life: Tim made these brownies Monday night, and this is what was left when I came home from work last night (Wednesday).  This is very, very normal for any baked good sitting around our house, but especially brownies.

And I know we're not alone on this one.  I know that you devour pans of brownies, too.  You don't have to tell me.  I know

Apparently this whole "Real Life" thing is somewhat motivating to me, because after I share my messes with the world of the wide web, I decide its maybe time to actually clean it up.  Remember our desk from two weeks ago?




Things are looking much better now!




Same thing with the coffee table!


The couch-cushion situation has not changed, though.  And (let's be honest) it probably won't.


And that's about it for this week! Hope you're having a good one and that you don't get caught in vicious kitchen-cleaning cycles!

3 comments:

  1. Hey something is missing from this picture! the other sofa!! Let me guess...in the dining room? haha Just a quick guess. I am sooooo with you on the kitchen dilemna...unfortunately. So alas, I have no suggestions for you. Another frown face. But I love you both regardless of what your kitchen or coffee table looks like. Cuz its your hearts and you I love the most:) Miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca and I put you and Tim to shame in the "rate of brownie disappearance" category. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There needs to be a running game of "spot the dog in the picture" on this blog

    ReplyDelete