Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Real Life with the Taylors: Scenes from Our Living Room

It's time for another episode of Real Life with the Taylors, where I encourage you with my imperfections and let you know that you're not alone!  Or maybe show you that you're a lot more pulled together than you realize.  And I remind myself that just because I'm a mess doesn't mean I'm a failure.

For dinner tonight we had leftover grape salad from this weekend, and cheesy brats from Aldi.  Cheesy brats from Aldi are becoming an alarmingly frequent meal at this house.

The good news is, I just ran 2 miles!

PSA: Cheesy jalapeno brats and running are NOT a good combination.

But we're not talking about nutrition and exercise tonight.  We're going to talk about the living room.


I wish that I could say that the pictures I am about to show you are not normal.  But they are.  Ok, maybe its just slightly messier than usual, but its been looking like this for WEEKS.



This is where Tim spends most of his evenings.  I'm usually sitting on the couch using the laptop or reading a book.  Welcome to the marriage of two very introverted people.  Don't worry... we DO interact.  He finds funny things on the interwebz and sends them to me through Google chat.  And I sit here and ask him annoying questions like "How do you spell Google?"

Ok... I know how to spell Google, obviously.



I was way behind on paperwork, but I am getting caught up! Seriously, I am.  I just have to finish reconciling our savings account... all other accounts are reconciled.  I was 3 or 4 months behind on reconciling and 2 or 3 months behind on entering receipts, which makes me feel like a miserable failure.  Then I realize that most people don't even do those things at all, ever.  So really, I'm ahead of the game :)

If you don't track your finances to the penny, I don't judge you... you have to do what works for you.  But at least keep accurate enough records to know that it is working.

I would also like to point out the empty coolant bottle on the desk.  I don't know why its there, but I a sure there is a good reason. (Update: Tim just took it out to the garage... I think to recycle it).

Also, the papers sitting on the desk right by Tim' arms are rebates that we still need to send in.  Rebates can quickly affect my feelings of pull-togetherness.


  • Sending rebates in on time make me feel super pulled-together.  Yeah, I filled out the form, slapped a stamp on it, and mailed that.  Don't mess with me... I get stuff DONE!
  • On the other hand, finding a rebate under a pile of papers 2 months after the expiration (or even worse... 2 days after) is killer.  Major.  Fail.




This is our coffee table.  Currently it is being occupied by the card ministry, and the reciepts that I already entered.  I just need to sort those receipts by date and file them.  Because, yes, I keep all receipts.  I know, I know... I have issues.

Also, you are highly likely to see our couch cushions like this if you stop by our house anytime before about 7 pm.  We put them like that at night to keep the dogs off the couch, and don't always put them back down unless we intend to sit on the couch.

I love how the couple in that Willow Tree figurine look like they're lovingly gazing at the piles of books and papers.



This... this is very typical.  Mail, newspapers, and other stuff on the HiFi.  We just are very careful when we open the HiFi to turn it on.  These are the speakers for our computer, so if Tim want to show me a video, we turn on the Hi-Fi.  You have to kind of grab all the papers, and the table runner and the Hi-Fi lid in your hand to open it just enough to get your other hand in there and turn it on.  You may  be surprised to know that they are actually really good speakers.

And that's our living room at any given moment.  If it looks better than that when you come over, you know we cleaned it for you.  Or maybe we magically got more organized...

What clutters your living room?  Or do you keep things pretty tidy?

1 comment:

  1. It's my kitchen island that is a catch all for anyone that woalks in the house! One little hint on rebates: I address the envelope the day I make the purchase and put everything I'll need to do it inside, then put the mail by date in the corner where the stamp will go. It helps a lot to get them out on time just by starting the process this way. (I have also been known to put a small sticky note on my calendar reminding me that something needs completed by a certain date.) Love your honesty and how you share your lives with us! I look forward to every post! Love you, Aunt Lynette

    ReplyDelete