Thursday, September 29, 2011

Apple Week: Apple Panekooken

I am so, so excited to have my second guest post here on Dinkin' Around.  Anne is such a good friend, and she really understands me.  At least most of the time :)  For example, she saw a big eraser in a purple case at the store and thought of me, so she got it.  And she knew I would be super-excited, even though it is just a little thing.  And then she knew I wanted to give her a hug when she gave it to me.  And she wrapped it in sparkly red wrapping paper, just like Christmas! 


Anne with an "e", you are wonderful!  Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Hi, I’m Anne.  I work with Stephanie and so I sometimes luck out when she does a theme week and brings in some of the fruits of her labor.  When Stephanie told me she was going to do Apple Week and was thinking about which recipes to feature, I suggested Apple Pannekoeken. Since Stephanie may have mentioned that she thinks I should create a blog of my own, I thought I’d give it a try with this guest post.
I first learned about Pannekoeken while visiting my sister who lives in Rochester, MN.  There is a restaurant in Rochester named after this tasty Dutch dish.  When you order a Pannekoeken, your server rushes out with your fresh, hot Pannekoeken singing “Pan-ne-KOO-ken, Pan-ne-KOO-ken” and places it before you before it falls.
Although this recipe isn’t exactly like what they serve at Pannekoeken, it’s pretty good and it’s fast and easy to make.  It’s also a great recipe to make with a friend.  One person can peel, slice, and cook the apple and the other can whip up the batter.
As you can see, the ingredients are all pretty common; you may not even have to go to the store!




You’ll want to melt the butter in a skillet and preheat your oven.  (The recipe recommends an oven-proof skillet, but I don’t have one, plus I like to use my toaster oven… it preheats faster, uses less energy, and since it’s counter height, it’s easier to keep an eye on the Pannekoeken.)


Next add a peeled & thinly sliced apple.  I usually just slice the apple right into the pan.  Sauté until brown and tender.


Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.  Add the brown sugar and cook until the sugar melts and caramelizes. Stir to evenly coat the apples.



Now, spread the apples evenly either in the bottom of your ovenproof skillet or the bottom of a deep dish pie plate or 9 inch round cake pan. (I usually spray the pan with Pam to help prevent sticking.)


If you’re a good at multitasking (or not taking pictures while you cook); you can make the batter while the apples are cooking.  Otherwise make it now.


I like to make it in a large liquid measuring cup.  It’s the right size and easy to pour.  Just whip it up until mixed but don’t worry about getting out all of the lumps.


Carefully and evenly pour the batter over the apples.  Put it in your preheated oven.


As the Pannekoeken bakes, it will rise and in about 15 minutes, it’ll look like this:


Remove from oven. 


Now, you’ll want to work quickly because the Pannekoeken will fall quickly.  If you’re really hungry, you can just slide the Pannekoeken onto a plate and it will make one big serving.  Otherwise cut and place on your plate. (Leftover Pannekoeken isn’t quite the same as hot and fresh out of the oven, but it’s not bad.)



Bon Appétit!
                                           
Apple Pannekoeken
2 tbsp butter
1 large apple (Granny Smith or similar)
1/4 c brown sugar
cinnamon and/or nutmeg

3 eggs
1/2 c flour
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 450.  Melt butter in oven save skillet.  Peel, core, & thinly slice apple.  Sauté the apple in butter over medium heat until tender, stirring occasionally.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg and add brown sugar.  Cook until brown sugar has melted and is slightly caramelized stirring to coat apples.
While the apple slices are cooking, mix together eggs, flour, milk, & vanilla.  Batter will be lumpy and somewhat thin like pancake batter.  When the apples are done tender and caramelized spread them evenly on bottom of pan and pour batter over the apples.  Bake 15 minutes and serve immediately as the Pannekoeken will fall rapidly.
Suggested toppings:  lemon juice & powdered sugar, sour cream & brown sugar, or butter & maple syrup.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, thanks for all of the nice things you said. I too appreciate how well you understand me. In honor of your Apple Week I made Caramel Apple Cake for work tomorrow. Sorry you won't be there to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete