Monday, February 21, 2011

Sausage Rice Casserole

This is probably my favorite casserole in the world, and it's also what we're having for dinner tonight.




Sausage Rice Casserole

·         2 lbs bulk pork sausage
·         2 ½ c chopped celery
·         1 c finely chopped green pepper
·         ¾ c chopped onion
·         2 packages (2 1/8 oz pkg) chicken noodle soup mix
·         4 ½ c boiling water
·         1 c regular rice
·         1 c blanched slivered almonds
·         ¼ c melted butter or margarine

Lightly brown sausage; pour off excess fat
Add vegetables and sauté until tender
Combine soup mix, rice, and boiling water
Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender
Add rice mixture to sausage; stir well
Pour into greased 9x13” dish
Sprinkle with almonds and drizzle with butter
Bake at 375º for 20 minutes
Makes 10 servings

NOTE: I have been known to just cook a box of seasoned wild rice instead of the rice with chicken noodle soup.

When making this for just Tim and I, I usually just use one pound of sausage, but the same amount of everything else.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. MMMM... sounds good Steph. I might have to try making this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, I have recently spent time getting caught on on your blog again. You do a great job! Today I am making the sausage rice casserole. I think, if I am remembering correctly, this may be one of Sven's favorites also. We will enjoy it and think of you & Tim! Aunt Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tasty tips: Substitute one pound of regular sausage for hot. Also, add a few cloves of finely diced garlic to the vegetables while sauteing.

    Also, for lazy folks (like myself) don't worry about melting the butter and drizzling it on top, just put thin pats of butter on top of the almonds before sticking it in oven.

    This is a great recipe, I should know: I've been eating it for the past 4 days now, and it's only halfway gone.

    ReplyDelete