Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Kitchen Is Green

Both of our moms heard about the project we tackled last weekend and are waiting for pictures so here they are.


BEFORE


DURING


AFTER


There you have it folks!  Our kitchen walls have been upgraded from yellow/tan (I call it cat poop yellow...but I honestly don't know what color cat poop is) to "Rolling Hills" by Benjamin Moore.  I was afraid it would turn out too dark, but I am really pleased.  It looks SO MUCH BETTER, and it is just " more us".

It was not easy, but we got all the painting done in 1 day!  Woohoo!  I got cut-in duty and painted for about 6 hours straight.  With all those windows and doorways and cabinets, it was not an easy job.  It was an exercise in endurance, although I think all of the whining I did about it takes away a lot of my perseverance points.

We pulled the oven out to take down the metal sheeting next to it so we could replace it (major gross), and ended up deep cleaning the whole range as well.  Of course no home improvement project is complete without at least one trip to Menards, so when Tim went I said "Look for some really good grease-cutting cleaner so I can clean the floor and stove."
"No... I have some."
"You do?  Where is it?"
"In the garage... it's for cleaning engines."

Worked like a charm!  Tim even took the oven door apart to clean it!  What a guy!  He really went at it.  I told him it was a wonderful Valentine's gift.

Since we had the outlet covers off already, Tim replaced all of the outlets and switches.  Unfortunately he discovered that the outlet we had the microwave plugged into was still knob and tube, and we just weren't comfortable running that much current through it, so the microwave has been temporarily relocated to the buffet until Tim can rewire.

I am anxious to paint the cabinets and replace the hardware, but we have a different (even higher priority) project going on this weekend.  I'll share the details later, but for now I will leave you with this hint:



1 comment:

  1. Tim and Steph, your kitchen looks beautiful!! Looks like a different place! So warm, cozy and inviting! Now Tim will never get you out of the kitchen!! Guess that only means one thing. Anna has to come visit so she can cook some more with you:) And of course, you know if Anna comes, then chances are her parents must come with her:)
    Can Tim come visit me to clean behind my stove with his grease cutter??!! Well my oven needs cleaning too for that matter. haha. So excited for you two. Have fun with removing that wallpaper!! Don't envy you on that job at all!! Will be thinking of you, though:)

    Love you two!! and thanks for the pictures..
    ~mom t.

    ReplyDelete