Thursday, May 15, 2014

Home Sweet Home

I'm home.

Monday night I had almost convinced myself that I would never make it. That I would spend the rest of my life in O'Hare airport. (Maybe I'm being a little melodramatic).  But I did, finally...eventually...make it home.

I won't bore you with the details of my journey, but I will say this: It could have been so much worse!  I'm one of the lucky blessed ones.  I wasn't travelling with children.  I wasn't travelling with anyone! And I didn't spend the night in an airport the night before. And I have amazing, AMAZING friends that I don't even deserve.  Special thanks go to:

Lisa: Thank you for being the sunshine in an otherwise really crappy day!  Thank you for saving me from spending the night in the airport.  It was so fun to see you (as always).  God knew we needed to spend some time together... I'm just sorry so many other people were inconvenienced in order to make it happen.  Also, the fact that my trip was bookended with laughter with you is not lost on me.  I love symmetry!

Mindy: Thank you for driving all the way to the airport to pick me up, even though I never showed up.  Thanks for your flexibility and patience.  You're so fantastic.

Sapphire: Thanks for picking me up!  Thanks for not telling me I was a dork while I was doing my phone interview in the car on the way back.  You're such a good friend.

Mindy & Shelby: (Yes, I have two Mindy's in my life.  I don't get confused, but other people do). Thank you for making an attempt to surprise me at the airport!  You're so sweet!  Sorry I stood you up...

So now I'm home.  And it is SO GOOD to be home.  It is overwhelming, and it is an adjustment, but it is good.  I'm constantly torn between "I have so many people I want to see and catch up with" and "I don't want to talk to anyone and I just want to hide in my house forever."  But I can't hide forever... there is yeast to buy so I can bake bread.  Because (let's be honest) what's the point of hiding in your house if you can't bake bread?

Sapphire and I jump started the truck yesterday and I went out to run errands.  THE ORANGE TRUCK IS BACK ON THE ROAD! Driving felt SO GOOD!

Many have asked how the dogburts handled it when I came home.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, but I was kind of hoping for balloons and confetti cannons, or at least a lot of happy barks, jumping, and kisses.  They came out the door, looked at me for one confused second, then were like "Oh... hey Mom."  It was like I had just stepped out to get groceries.  Slightly anti-climatic.

But!  They did have a Mother's Day card for me!




Wasn't that sweet?  They're so thoughtful.



Toby's still the sweetest dog ever.  Also worth noting: he graduated from college while I was gone. I'm so proud of him!


Tico is still the littlest boy that likes to be in the biggest cage.



Jynx is just as sassy as ever. 



 Only now Sapphire's pet rats torment her during playtime in the bathroom.



Some things have changed, though. For example, this boot was not hanging from the railing in front of my house when I left.  It showed up the day I arrived.  I have no idea where it came from or why it is here.  And yes, I have left it there for two days...


Also, now there's this pile of mail on the hi-fi waiting to be sorted, minus two magazines.



Wait...maybe that's not any different from before...

No comments:

Post a Comment