Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Borough Market vs. Camden Market

Our first two weekends we were here, we checked out some of the famous markets.  Our first Sunday we went to Camden Market in the afternoon.  The next Saturday we went to Borough Market, then Camden Market again on Sunday.
 
Why did we go to Camden Market twice?  I'm still asking myself that question.  Oh wait... I remember.  Because of this.
 
 
And this.
 

 
I don't really know that there are words to describe Camden Market, but if I was given truth serum and forced to blurt out words to describe it, it would sound something like this.
 
"Such... people. Much... junk. So. Many. People.  Ew. Gross.  What? Why? People, people, people. Yum."


Borough Market is a whole different story, though.  Well... it is and it isn't.  There's a lot less junk, and the food's much swankier.  Forced into the same truth-serum scenario, I would describe Borough Market like this.
 
"Food...
cheese..
Food...
goat's milk ice cream?
People. 
Everywhere. 
More food. 
Expensive food.
Fancy food.
Hipster.
Umbrellas. 
Are there trashcans?"* 
 
 
 
*Seriously, what does it take for a girl to get a litter bin for her napkin and fork?
 


Are you finding this helpful in your London planning?  If so, I am sorry I have led you astray.  This is not helpful.
 
Its just that... well, I don't like people.  Well, mostly I do, but a lot of times I don't.  Maybe I just don't like crowds? 
 
The catch-22 is that what helps a market be so successful is that a lot of people come.  So lots of people are necessary for an awesome market.  Also, variety make a great market, but variety is overwhelming.  Studies show that the more choices you have, the less likely you are to make a choice.  I definitely found this to be true.  Except when I decided to spend 10 quid on two (really big, really delicious) pieces of baklava.
 
Let me try to be more helpful.  Let's do a compare and contrast.
 
Both markets have a lot of people.  Both markets have a lot of food.
 
Borough Market is a food market.  There are cheese and breads and pastries and fruits and veggies and sausages.  But there's also "prepared" food, like stir-fry and dumplings and burgers that you can eat while you shop.  Borough Market feels kind of "fancier" for lack of a better term.  I've never been to Seattle, but it strikes me as the kind of market you would have in Seattle.
 
Camden Market is an EVERYTHING market.  Cheap, junky souvenirs.  Antiques.  Apparel. Drug paraphernalia.  And street food.  Lots of really good street food.  I've never been to Tijuana, but it strikes me as the kind of market you would have in Tijuana.
 
Both markets are neat in their own way. I probably like Borough Market better, but it was still pretty overwhelming.  If I lived in the area, I might take some time to figure out which vendors were the best, but I don't think I could afford to patronize it as part of my regular grocery shopping.  And I wouldn't want to spend that much time there, fighting the crowds. Camden Market was just way too much of everything.  PM described it as "Sensory Overload" which just about sums it up.  But there is great street food, including the amazing tacos pictured above.
 
Just because I wasn't crazy about these places doesn't mean you won't love them and find them interesting.  You probably will.  It was just a lot for this girl to take in...

No comments:

Post a Comment