Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The First Small Home Project: Contact Paper

When Tim and I first looked at our house, we felt that it was relatively well kept-up and the decorating was not atrocious; however, when we moved in, I felt a little bit differently about it.  My list of to-do projects grew exponentially.  But the very first thing I knew I needed to do to make this home my own was to put nice, new clean shelf-paper in the cupboards and drawers.  We found some really attractive contact paper at Walmart that seemed like it would go nicely with our kitchen and dishes.  I was all excited about this paper, and Tim tried to warn me, but I simply brushed him off... it was a nice striped pattern.




Now, (as I have been saying often since I started this project) contact paper is the kind of thing you can only work on for so long without wanting to kill someone.  I started working on it over a week ago, and I am not even halfway done, which should give you some idea of my contact paper tolerance.  However, no matter how challenging and frustrating the process is-- not only trying to get it in the not-square cupboards straight, but also trying to line up the dang stripes-- it is SO rewarding.  My cupboards no longer smell greasy-stale, and the contact paper looks great with my dishes.




So, if anyone out there thinks I am a perfectionist, come look at my contact paper and discover otherwise.


Special thanks to my wonderful cousin Jenn, who came over and helped me with this aggravating project.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your sweet word - but I didn't help much - sorry it's been so aggravating.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next up wallpaper, the true test of marital harmony. If you can wallpaper a room without killing each other or at least one storming out of the room to prevent such then you have passed the first test of owning a home together.

    ReplyDelete