Sunday, October 4, 2009

First big home project and the event that started it


Wednesday I (Tim) took all the locks on the house to get re-keyed. There was one of the garage entry doors that had been painted, including the lockset. Said door was also painted shut. I didn't need to open it to get the deadbolt out, so I just popped it out and took it along with the others to the locksmith. He ended up having to trash it because there was paint all thru the lock cylinder. When I got home, I realized I had to replace the actual deadbolt as well, cuz it was a different action type than the previously painted one. I tried to open the door, but as previously found, it was painted shut. After hip chucking the door a few times, I realized that the bottom was free, but not the top half. Putting my shoulder into it, I quickly found out that this was a door with a painted-over plate glass window. Not cool. I shattered the entire thing, and got a nice 3-4" cut on my left shoulder, along with an assortment of other cuts and scrapes.
It just so happened that Menard's is having a door sale. I ripped the old door out, went to put the new in, and found out that the builders did some very strange fitting with the original door. What makes it ever stranger is that it was an original door to the house, but the garage was built in 1996. Newho, I modified the door header a bit, but I'll have to put some siding across the top of the door to fill in the gap on the outside. For the time being, the door is in, level, and lockable. No windows to mistake for a solid door in the future, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment