Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Life Changing Moments...

...you know, those moments when your life is changed forever.  And you never even saw it coming.

I am not going to mention at which point in my life these life-changing moments occurred, but I will say that it has been much more recently than I care to admit.  For the record, none of them happened today.



image source


Learning that a couch and a sofa are the same thing.  Who knew?!  There is no real size difference.  No style difference.  No number of cushion difference. 

I guess I always thought that maybe one was longer than the other.  You know, a couch is longer than a love seat, and a sofa is longer that a couch.  Or is a couch longer than a sofa?  I could never remember.  There was a reason... because they are THE SAME THING.

This one time I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond looking at slipcovers and I almost asked the sales clerk, "I see that you have a lot of slipcovers in a sofa size... do you carry any in a couch size?"

I am SO GLAD I don't ask for help in stores.  Because it saved me from a very awkward and embarrassing moment.  I don't handle embarrassing moments very well.

...
One day I was driving to work, and I was thinking about engines, and I started to wonder why a diesel engine was called a diesel engine.  I mean, obviously its because it takes diesel fuel.  But why didn't they name it after the dude who invented the engine?  Because (let's be honest) the engine (not just the diesel) is quite the marvel of engineering.  Please, please, PLEASE never take this fact for granted.  If you don't understand why, help your husband change the timing belt on the car and have him explain the entire engine and importance of the timing belt to you.  (In case you didn't know this, the timing belt is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, particularly in an interference engine.  Without it, your engine will go kablooey--- for reals).

But I digress.

Me: Why did they name the diesel engine after the fuel and not the inventor?
Tim: They didn't.
Me: What?  Yes they did!  You put diesel fuel in it, and that's why its a diesel engine.
Tim: No, its named after Rudolf Diesel.  He invented the diesel engine.
Me: No way!
Tim: Yes.
 Life changing moment part one: Diesel WAS a dude, and the engine IS named after him.
Me: Wow, so they named the engine and the fuel after him?  That's pretty crazy!  But I guess he deserves it, because an engine is a pretty amazing thing to invent.
Tim: No, they call it diesel fuel, because its what you put in a diesel engine.
Life changing moment part two: They call it diesel fuel, because its what you put in a diesel engine.  A

...
In an ironic twist of events, I was telling some friends about this life-changing knowledge regarding fossil fuels and internal combustion engines, when a friend shared with me one of their life changing moments, which was then a life changing moment for me.


"Epitome" is how you spell "epidamy" or "epidemie" or "epitamy" or...you get the point.  Again, the reason I could never learn to spell it is that I was going about it all the wrong way.  You see, there already was a spelling for it-- "epitome."  Ironically, this is also how you spell eh-pih-tohm.  And ironically eh-pih-tohm is not  a real word.

...
Like I said, these life-changing moments can come without warning, and your jaw will hit the floor.  Also, people may laugh a you.  A lot.  But it happens to the best of us.

You are probably laughing, shaking your head, or doing a face-palm right now.  If you're not, consider these public service announcements.  Or  maybe I just created a life-changing moment for you.


Now, please, please, PLEASE share your life-changing moments with me!!!! You can leave your comment anonymously if you don't want to fess up, but please don't leave me here without knowing what you learned.  I could run into an awkward and embarrassing couch/sofa conversation at Bed, Bath, and Beyond!

1 comment:

  1. LCM #1: Never state the obvious to your wife in an obvious tone.

    ReplyDelete