Sunday, April 17, 2011

Birthday Rhymes

Yesterday was my birthday, so my sister Mandy called me. She apologized for not sending me a card, but I told her it was all right because I kept the one she sent me 3 years ago because it made me laugh so hard.


Mandy does not feel favorably about poetry, but she does like "a little something that rhymes" so she wrote me one in that card.  I read it to her on the phone and we were both laughing so hard we could hardly talk.  So I thought I would share that "little something that rhymes" that my little sister wrote for me 3 years ago.

Stephanie Michelle Taylor is your name
April 16th 19-- you came
to grace the world with your presence
Now on that day we give you presents

Being your sister I have greatly enjoyed
but since your wedding you have been deployed
to live in Iowa far away from me
And your shining face I don't get to see

Now memories from the past I hold dear
Oops that was very cliché I fear
Either way I look back and laugh
The only work to rhyme here is giraffe

I like our special Steph/Mandy hugs
And sing-song rapping "Fresh Prince" like thugs
We love great quites like "Dad!  I found the wears!"
And that SB email when Lil' Brudder reduces Homestar to tears

I love you even from far away
And with that in the open, I must say
I hope you have a HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Ok, so maybe that's not as funny to everyone else as it is to the people that know us, but you have to give her points for creativity.  She always makes me laugh.

Reviewing this little something that rhymes reminded me of another that someone else special wrote to me on a birthday card they made me.  It was my little friend, Luke.

I love you however the weather
I love you wherever you are
I love you all of the time
From Luke, which is fine

I love you too, Luke!  Your poem still makes my day!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry I missed your birthday - guess I was wrapped up in the end of tax season. Love your blog entry tho with the rhymes and the memories. I am going to try the cracker dip for sure as I have many crackers right now due to some awesome sales/deals! Love, Aunt Lynette

    ReplyDelete