Saturday, October 2, 2010

Road Trip

Spur of the moment probably means something different to others than what it means to me.



Last month Leah and I were talking about some vacation time she had coming up and what she should do with it.  We were having this discussion a week and a half before her vacation started and I had an idea... a crazy idea.  We could road trip to my parents'!  But that would mean that I would be heading out of town in a week and a half with little to no pre-meditation.  I mulled the idea over for about 12 hours then pitched it to Leah.  She got excited and asked for another day of vacation so we could leave earlier.  She was approved for the vacation, we talked Katie into coming, and we were driving 11 hours to Ohio before I even knew what hit me.


Now for some people, a week and a half ahead of time is a well-planned vacation, but for me it is impulsive enough to cause me to loose sleep and feel guilty for weeks.  But it was fun, and definitely worth it.


The county fair was going on that weekend, and I am so glad I got to go.  The Wayne County Fair is the best rural county fair in Ohio (seriously-- there's been a vote).  It especially made my day that we were there Saturday night so we got to see the tractor pull.   But we also had a chance to tour Amish country and eat some yummy homemade food like grilled peanut butter and jelly and pumpkin bars.


I had a good time, and I hope Katie and Leah did too.  One thing I learned is that 11 hours is a long drive no matter who you are with.  I sometimes wondered if it just felt so long because I was usually with my family (we all know how fun "family time" packed into a car for hours on end is) or with Tim (who doesn't really care to carry on a conversation or listen to audio books). But even with my friends, you run out of things to talk about, and music gets old.


Thanks, Katie and Leah, for humoring me and coming with me, for being patient as I drag you all over tarnation to see things you probably don't find interesting, traipse you all over the fair in the rain, and get crabby in traffic when I am hungry, hot, tired, and need to go to the bathroom.  I'm sorry the AC in my car didn't work.  You girls are pretty great, and I am blessed to have you as friends.  Seriously, what would I do without you two?


Here are some pics from our weekend.


























No comments:

Post a Comment