Sunday, April 25, 2010

muchness

My friend Katie wanted to see Alice and Wonderland so she, Tim, and I took advantage of free popcorn night and went to check it out.


I must admit, my hopes were not high.  Tim Burton + Johnny Depp = probably strange and creepy.  Maybe it was because my expectations were so low that I ended up being so surprised to find that I LOVED IT!  It was a wonderful movie and (as opposed to the original animated Disney version) had a pretty good plot.  The cherry on top was the new Avril Lavigne song for the end credits.

My favorite part of the movie was a little conversation the Mad Hatter had with Alice as they were walking along to meet the White Queen.  Alice is now a young adult returning to Wonderland, and doesn't seem to remember being there before, although others were convinced she had been.  Furthermore, she had been brought to Wonderland to slay the Jabberwocky, and she was pretty convinced she was not the person for the job.

She and the Hatter are arguing about whether or not she will be the Champion, when he stops and tells her 

"You used to be much more...muchier.  You've lost your muchness."

Later in the movie, as Alice does her heroic things, we realize that she has found her muchness, and she is muchy again.  What a relief!

I walked away from the movie thinking that I needed to find my muchness and be muchier... I just need to be a stronger person, and not be afraid, and never get tired, etc, etc, etc.  Wait... I've tried that before, and it didn't really work.  In fact, trying so hard to have muchness on my own actually made me loose my muchness.

I was praying that night when God hit me over the head with a 2 x 4 and said "Stephanie... your muchness comes from ME."

Oh yeah...

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. (2 Corinthians 12:9)

I have been trying to pray for muchness every morning, and God is faithful to answer my prayers, so WATCH OUT... I'm feeling muchy today!


1 comment:

  1. you found the quote! good job! What great thoughts, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete