Thursday, July 24, 2014

Real Life with the Taylors: The Fence and Fence Fairies

We are about to begin a major home project (The Basement) which I am hoping to update you about weekly.  Sometimes we see what people post on social media and extrapolate that to the rest of their lives.  For example, when they share about a project that they are doing, we think "Wow... they're so productive!  They have such gumption, such energy, such creativity!  I don't understand how people can get stuff done, because I have had projects sitting around for years waiting to be done/finished..."

Not that I think my weekly posting will induce such thoughts of comparison and inadequacy, but as a preventative measure, I attempt to give you...

PERSPECTIVE

This, my friends, is another episode of Real Life with the Taylors.  In today's episode, we will revisit and incident that happened long ago--- a year and a half ago, to be exact.

Remember that time we went to Honduras right after Christmas?  And we had about 24 hours between when we got home from Michigan and when we left the country? And how in that time we had discovered someone had driven through our fence?  And how we patched it up to get us through until we could replace it?  Yeah...about that.




The excuses are many (Insurance! Fencing Decisions!  Unresponsive contractors! Church Projects!  London!) but the point remains that this situation was not remedied until about a month ago.  And I'm not telling you about it until now--a month after we started working on it-- because, well... it wasn't finished until now.  And technically it's still not finished.

This is Real Life, people.



We lived with a fence that looked like this for 18 months.  As did our neighbors.  Not that they really cared.

Finally, the Fence Fairies arrived and intervened.  They tore down the old fence, ripped out those fence posts, and installed the new fence.


#BTTJDNMA

Steph, I thought this was real life, and now you're talking about fairies...

1) Fairies are real (just read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them)

2) Maybe these weren't real fairies, but they were magical and transformed my yard.

My mother, father, and sister-in-law came for a visit and really wanted to help us with a project.  Fencing it is (and I'm not talking about sword fighting). We all know that Big Time Timmy Jim Does Not Mess Around, but where do you think he got his determination?  His family, of course. They worked so hard.  So hard.  This induced much guilt on my part as

a) I was concerned they might die
b) I had to work my retail job so didn't really help much

But they were valiant, brave, capable, and competent!  I was so impressed, and so grateful.  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.


And here's the (almost) finished product.  One post wasn't quite right, so we have to wait for that to come in to finish the part between the garage and the shed.




Who doesn't love a good before-and-after ?











Doesn't it look WONDERFUL!?!  And, yes, it is Tico-proof.

If you were hoping for some sort of fence demolition and/or installing tutorial... sorry, Charlie.  I've never been good at tutorials, mostly due to lack of pictures.  Just ask Tim and he can tell you all about how to do it.

So that's Real Life around here.  Broken fence for 18 months, and it took some magical fairies to get the job done, and a month for me to get around to telling you about it.  But it's done, and I am so grateful!!!

Thanks again, Taylors!  You are a blessing!

1 comment: