Sunday, November 18, 2012

Pumpkin Week: Pumpkin Bread Pudding

So this one time two years ago, Mandy came to visit and run a race with me and Sapphire and Leah and Lalaiana.  After the race we cooked up a storm to celebrate Sapphire's birthday, including donut cheeseburgers (cheeseburgers with donuts as the buns).  Then we did the Holiday Stroll really quickly because we had to get back and watch PW's Thanksgiving Throwdown with Bobby Flay.

It was quite a day.   I was very tired.  And full.


In that throwdown, Bobby made a dessert that sounded absolutely amazing, and I really wanted to try it out. Now, two years later, Mandy and Sapphire have convened at my home, and we have finally attempted this culinary feat.  My intent (as always) was to follow the recipe closely and do every piece, part, and step.  The reality (as always) was that I deviated from the script.  

Friends, I give you... 

Pumpkin Bread Budding with (modified) Spicy Caramel Apple Sauce and Vanilla Bean Cream Anglaise  and Whipped Cream From a Can.


I am so bad at this...

Step 1: Acquire some pumpkin bread.  You can use the recipe Bobby provides (which I did...I was going to follow all of the directions, remember?) or buy some at the store.  Bobby's bread was amazing, but you really could just buy some at the store and it would really not have a large impact on the dish overall.  Notice how I was so on top of it and made the pumpkin bread from scratch, but I couldn't get my act together to take pictures.  Oh well... you win some, you lose some.

Step 2: (Can I just explain how hard it is to type "Step" when your name is "Steph"?  I also have a lot of trouble with "time.") Toast the bread and prepare the custard.

Mmm... pumpkin stuffs.


Mandy is preparing the custard.  


Tempur the egg/ pumpkin mixture with the milky stuffs.


Toasty pumpkin bread!


Sapphire removing the vanilla bean (we deviated already... Fareway didn't have vanilla beans, and I didn't want to run over to Madagascar or Tahiti just to get some.  And Anthony was out of town, so I couldn't ask him for one.)


Sapphire pouring in the bourbon.


Then you strain the custard and pour it over the bread cubes.


Smash it all down.


FYI- these are the kinds of things that happen to your kitchen when you cook.  Messes.


Ready to go in the oven!


Add water to the pan around it.  I didn't have one deep enough and big enough, so I just worked with what I had.

This is the part of the show where I realized I didn't have all the ingredients I needed for the next two parts, and I really, REALLY hate going to the grocery store, so here is what we did.

For the spicy caramel apple sauce, I had some leftover caramel sauce from the pumpkin gingerbread (I will share that recipe later), so I warmed it up and whisked in some apple juice and cinnamon.  And this is where things really started to veer off course.  I think this turned out NOTHING like the caramel apple sauce was supposed to.  I really recommend that you follow Bobby's directions.

Also, whipped cream from a can sounded simple, and--as we previously discussed-- I didn't have any vanilla beans.  So whipped cream from a can it was.


Here's the bread pudding!


Drizzle on the caramel apple sauce.  Then add the vanilla creme anglaise.


Remind your dog that no, this is not for him.  No matter how cute he is.

Here is the link to Bobby's recipe.  

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Spicy Caramel Applesauce and Vanilla Bean Creme Anglaise

If anyone has the courage to really go for it and follow the directions on the Spicy Caramel Apple Sauce and Vanilla Bean Creme Anglaise, I would love to know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment