Sunday, December 12, 2010

Interview by: Bubby, Rachel, and Hannah

I was helping in the toddler room at church this morning.  It was my first time in that room (usually I am with the babies) and I'll be honest-- I was a little nervous.  I've heard things about the toddler room... and from the toddler room.  Thumping...screaming...crying.  It's a scary place.  The Lord looked kindly on me this week and sent a blizzard last night, so toddler attendance was down.  Apparently staffing in the preschool room was too, because we had a couple of older kids in there.


Things went well, and it was actually pretty fun.  Toddlers and preschoolers talk to you, and they say some pretty funny things.  Following is a conversation I had while coloring at the table. I had little Lilyana in my lap, which may or may not have prompted the conversation.  Since I didn't have a tape recorder, I make not guarantees that what I write here is verbatim, but it should give you the idea of the conversation.

Bubby (3ish) looks up at me across the table as we are coloring.
Bubby:  Are you a mom?
Me: Am I am mom?
Bubby: Yeah, are you a mom?
Me: Nope.
Hannah (4ish) and Rachel(5ish) suddenly look up at me, started by this shocking statement.
Rachel: You're not a mom?
Me: Nope.  I'm not mom.
Bubby: Yes you are!
Me: No, I am not a mom.
Rachel: How old are you?
Me: 25
Hannah: I think you are a mom.
Me: No!  I am not a mom.  Why do you think I'm a mom?  Because I have a little girl on my lap?
Rachel: Maybe.  But not really.
Me:  Do I look like a mom?
Hannah & Rachel & Bubby: Yes.
Me: Why?
Rachel: I don't know.
Me:  Is it because I look old?
Rachel:  Sort of.  You just look like a mom.
Me: I don't have any kids.  Just a dog.  I'm just a dog mom.
Rachel: Do you own a house?
Me: Yes.
Hannah: Then you're a mom!
Me: No I'm not.
Rachel: No, that's not a mom.  A mom means you have kids.  You have to have babies to be a mom.
Hannah: Oh.
Rachel: How old do you think you will be when you have babies?
Me: I have no idea.  Probably not 25.
Rachel: Just a guess.  Just guess how old you think you will be.
Me: I really don't know.
Rachel: I think you will be... 39.
Me:  39?  39 is pretty old to start having babies.
Rachel: My mom is 40...
Me: Yes, but your mom hasn't had babies for awhile.
Bubby: Kyle is a baby (Kyle is Rachel's youngest brother... 3ish, just like Bubby).
Me: Kyle's not a baby!  He's like you.  Are you a baby?
Bubby: No.
Hannah: I think you will be... 20.
Me: I'm 25 now.
Rachel:  I'll say 29.  I think you will have babies when you are 29.
Me: We will have to see.

1 comment: